Lv. Percent
    40.98%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackThread PandaI am hot!Posting God

thanks for posting!
    oh god... gotta be careful these days, ne?
    horrible....
    "Problems that cannot be solved do not exist in this world." - Yuki Nagato

Chibi Chatterer
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements I'm Not Alone!

While I can agree with a lot of these, I had to say it but some of the phrasing is offensive to people who have been targeted by perverts.

Take for example:

No. 4: Think before you pose for a photo. Sometimes it might just be a simple action that may lead to an unwanted consequence. (eg. bending towards photographer and accidentally revealing your cleavage line unintentionally.)
    Uh, no. Simple actions do not lead to unwanted consequences. It's not about covering yourself up to avoid being stalked or harassed. It doesn't matter. If someone wants to be a pervert and ignore the fact that these are people in costumes that is they're doing and does not reflect or rather should not reflect onto that of the cosplayer. As someone that has been harassed and asked to do perverted photos, I take great offense to this.

This part especially:

**2) When you know that you are wearing something short or revealing, please take every caution when you want to pose, sit or relax. Act properly and behave decently, sometimes it's the signals and body language that might trigger an undesirable consequence. Take responsibility for your actions.
    Do you see how much of a slap in the face that is? Actions do not trigger or cause people to ask to be harassed. You can behave decently, you can wear turtlenecks, jeans and tennis shoes and you can still be harassed. I'm sorry to say but writing like the above just shifts blame onto victims rather than the people that deserve the blame. I volunteer helping rape victims and this kind of wording is what we fight to avoid.

Really the key things I always advise people:

1. Stay close with friends and keep a cell phone handy. Always know your surroundings. Buddy system is your best friend.
    2. Never be afraid to scream or attract attention.
    3. Never go off with a strange alone or to a private place. Photoshoots should be held near the convention and in an area you feel is safe.
    4. Don't be afraid to speak up. If someone is making you uncomfortable and you've asked them to stop, raise your voice. Call them out.
    5. If something happens, do not blame yourself. Tell someone immediately and get help.
    6. No is no. Do not let someone persuade you against your comfort.

Chibi Chatterer
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.32%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

This is a great guide. I always cosplay with a group of girls, and we get a lot of inappropriate comments and even physical interactions. It makes me want to only cross-play to avoid some of the attention. This is great guide though. I know a lot of cosplayers (girls especially) sometimes feel like they don't have the right to tell people to back off. It's important to impress upon them that the behavior of the 'con-creep' isn't at all normal or acceptable, and that we need to stand up for ourselves if we're uncomfortable. AND ALWAYS USE THE BUDDY SYSTEM.

I also completely agree with MTHart, in that we have no obligation to act a certain way to not get perv-ed on. It's their behavior that should be kept in check, not ours.
    Last edited by slinky21; Nov 22nd, 13 at 11:53 PM. Reason: additions

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.61%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewbloodBeginner Poster!

The buddy system is a great idea. At a con, there are hundreds if not thousands of people wandering around with cameras, and they blend right in. Creeps and fans and legitimate photographers alike. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference.

If you are ever in doubt, ask what they are going to do with the photograph before they take it (this is assuming, of course, they ask your permission). If they are a fan or a legitimate photographer, they'll be able to tell you to check out their Facebook page or give you a business card.

As for those who are just taking creepy photos from a distance, that's a bit harder to avoid.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011