Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Thank you vogue.
    Oh one more really really outstanding thing about kigurumi cosplay over other cosplay.
    It is... its very versatile.
    Doesn't require official costume to do a proper cosplay.

Not clear on what I mean?
    Meaning, you can cosplay as the anime character (or generic character) wearing non official costumes.
    Below is Meer Campbell wearing a traditional Chinese robe. If it were a normal cosplay, once you change out of your official costume, it will be hard to recognise who you're cosplaying as already.
    With Kigurumi cosplay, you can cosplay as ...for example, Meer in school uniform, Asuka in soccer jersey, C.C. in Asuka's plugsuit... and it actually looks like one character cosplaying cross overs in another char's costume
    http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u24/eiritsu/sgcafesig.jpg

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Thread PandaStop...Hammer Time!Art Of CreationPosting GodMaster Poster

i bought 3kg clay for 36 bucks.... damn... i gonna try make a head first... (clay on the Styrofoam)

Wyu-sensei> i am doing the head without making moldes out of it.... is there any advice i can get from u?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

HI tama...
    Wow... your clay is too too expensive.
    3kg for $36??!!

You need at least 12kg of clay you know?
    hmm... on average each pack should be about $5-$6 in singapore ba.
    You can get from popular bookstore too.

Anyway, making the head sculpture is the first step.
    The second step then involved casting the head sculpture into a temporary mold.

There is alot of caution involved.
    My advice is, perfect the head sculpture first. Post many pictures of it here and have people here to help. I will help you look out for any sculpting issues.

Since its your first time I assume. it might take a long time. Be patient.
    If you read the tutorial above, the sculpt is the most important part. Cos everything afterwards depends on it.~

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Thread PandaStop...Hammer Time!Art Of CreationPosting GodMaster Poster

wyu-sensei> 12kg so much?? yup noobie here ^^ cos i cant find the figuring ...so i tot of might as well made it myself.. lol ^^ sure do.. i will pm u if there is any problems... ..

sry... u are a guy i guess? why you doing this? (i doing becos i really want that figuring!!!)

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I did said explicitly in the tutorial that you need 12-13kg of clay per head sculpture.

wait, you want to make a figurine? ... lol
    I think you came to the wrong place.

Its harder to make than just the head alone, you should save your time and money and buy the figurine instead.
    I bought it for $40 at China Square.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Wyu View Post
    I did said explicitly in the tutorial that you need 12-13kg of clay per head sculpture.

wait, you want to make a figurine? ... lol
    I think you came to the wrong place.

Its harder to make than just the head alone, you should save your time and money and buy the figurine instead.
    I bought it for $40 at China Square.
    qyu-sensei> no la... that one can be bought now cos no longer in production.... ebay also dont have... so i make the 1:1 head ba.... ^^

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Wyu-Sensei> at last i tried it... damn it is way way harder than i tot .... (heavy too about 2.5KG)

well i started of with the female head becos it is small as i only have 3kg of clay... and i am making a bus so i feel that it will be much easier.... (like real ^^) btw there is a clock on the left side ..so i took about 4 hours... not bad for a noob?

after slaving off to put the clay on... and listening to anime music for inspiration...

The more i make i feel like it looks like a monkey ..donno why till i figure out that the cheeks you did is way way bigger and the eyes are further apart then the Styrofoam head..... so i need to re-clay and move the eyes.... thats explains why yours uses 10kg of clay.... but i try to scale it down...

at last i finish the details but it keep cracking... is i have to re-clay it with thin layers.. but it still cracks.... so no choice, i put alot of clay on them took me 2 hours.... and added ears and the "hat" which later i will be able to wear the wig on her...

i know it dont look much but i hell did all the way.... (skipped lunch too..)

so wyu-sensei and comments on my Nodoka? ^^ sry i am doing a bus instead of the mask..... pls pls do advice... thanks for the tutorials.. the eyes and mouth is OMG ...damn hard to scale it and cut it out..

my next step is to sand her down and air brush her... but i dont have an air brush.... zzzzzzz

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

sensei> may i ask.. why is it keep cracking?? do i need to put a damp cloth on it?

Last edited by TaMA_ChaN; Jun 22nd, 09 at 07:13 PM.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.87%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

very long and tiring process

but in the end nice

wanted to try kigurumi before but didnt know where to start

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwira View Post
    very long and tiring process

but in the end nice

wanted to try kigurumi before but didnt know where to start
    kiwira> just wack...no harm trying... it is fun...^^

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by TaMA_ChaN View Post
    sensei> may i ask.. why is it keep cracking?? do i need to put a damp cloth on it?

Wow I'm really happy to see you trying. You figured out fairly reasonably how it should be done for a first try~
    Ok so I'll return your attempt with an equality motivated guide.
    Allow me to push you in the right direction ok?
    Ready~

Hmm... shouldn't have so many cracks.
    If its air drying clay it should be fine... ok ok one thing at a time, read the points below.
    Aiya, I didn't check here a few days... I should have told you some things sooner if you're really going to start

I'll list the things down which you need to sort out now
    1) You don't need to cover down the neck in clay lol. Make an anime head up till the neck can already.

2) 2.5kg? Actually, seeing the pictures even if you make a mask out of it, you won't be able to put it on. It is too small. Just a guage for you, I already mentioned that you need about 12kg of clay at least.

3) The cracks... well it happens to clay which needs to be fired. Since your's no need then it has to be other problems. Perhaps its too thin (most likely reason) The styrofoam expands and contracts alot. Either ways, if you use 12kg of clays, or more than 2.5 kg, there easily won't have so many cracks... though cracks do happen... usually only 1 or 2 which can be filled up.

4) Read the tutorial again, I don't know what else you missed out. But you already missed the advise in the first step (point 2 was mentioned many times, point 1 can be seen from observation) The thing I want to stress in point 4 is: you need to find a picture of a figurine which you like its face, and sculpt according to its face. Its very important that your sculpt what you see and NOT what you thought you see. Pay attention to the details, don't add your own impressions, draw what you see, sculpt what you see. Your head now looks more like a living person's anatomy instead of an anime character's anatomy. Find a picture of any figurine (bigger image the better) which has photos from all angles. Then replicate that. If you have a real figurine, you acn use that as a model too. I can see that you're sculpting what you THINK you see instead of what you see.

Remember this, 90% of sculpting is using observation with your eyes. As long as you can observe a difference, you can work to correct the difference. the remaining 10% is skill and experience, and that only makes you reach the finishing line faster not necessarily better. (I'm not pro, I was taught this also)
    Take a rest and then come back, and repeat. Then rest and repeat... each time you come back you will spot errors.
    For now, try to see the difference between what you made and how your model figure image look like. (You need to get a model k? I usually use pictures on my computer.)

... so far, very good determination and well done.
    But you're far from stopping point, there is alot you need to change before you finally stop at a satisfactory design~

P.S. Do you mind posting your attempt in my forums as well, I collect member's sculpting attempts and I guide people there too
    http://www.kigurumicosplay.com/phpBB3
    Just start your own thread

Edit 1
    5) Ah >_< looking at your sculpt a second time, realised that you made ears? Make the ears seperately. Hehe again read the tutorial. BTW, you're not going to make a mask is that what you said last time?
    Wow... then the whole situation gets a lot more different though. Hmm... not sure how to explain to you... what are you making btw.

Edit 2
    6) Ah ic... looking it at the third time.
    The cracks... seems like you plastered many many small patches of clay on your head and you did not smoothen it out is it? Hmm... You need to use water and rub the joints where two clays meet so that they become smooth and you cannot see the joints. Its a little like massaging... wet your hands and rub over the whole head, making all the bumps and holes smooth.

Oh btw, to answer your question about the time you spent.~
    4 hours? I think you're rushing your job... a normal sculpt takes days and weeks.
    Even at the first time, 4 to 6 hours is bare minimum for just the head.
    Take your time... jia you~!!! Hope in a few days time, the figurine shape will start to emerge
    Last edited by Wyu; Jun 23rd, 09 at 07:33 PM.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

wyu-sensei> ^^ thanks for your comment and i really appreciate it.

somethings i learn along the way....

1) Using water andclay to rub them together as one

2) I use a damp cloth cover it up and it didint seem to crack now ^^

3) I did read b4 i made it... for the ears is that i NOT CASING IT.. i am doing a bus for real ^^ (thats becos i cover it all up to the neck and made the ear)

4) I didint have a figuring cos it is sold out in the world!!!! so i made it thro looking yours... you can see the background of the pic is this web site (i know i suck at copying sensei's works... T.T )

5) I will reply on your thread and do comment ^^ i would want to get an air brush..cheap one will do... need to hunt that equipment down...

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    88.69%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

wow, this is too cool for words! thanks wyu!

i'm full up till end of 2010, but maybe i might try it for 2011

Chibi Chatterer
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.87%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Wyu View Post
    Though its not really related, i guess i can still answer that.

Its a single action airbrush shown in the picture below.
    Bought it from the hobby store in sunshine plaza.
    You will probably cry if you want to cover the whole mask in 1 colour using those sparmax airbrush for painting model kits which costs $120 (look at my air compressor picture above).
    The cheapo airbrushes which are coarse is best for this purpose.
    wow, great mask u made.

btw, i juz brought a brand new Twin action airbrush for $45 from a guy in hwz.
    the similar single action airbrush tt u shown he selling for $25. this is his thread: http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/sh...7#post38477487

so where can i can a cheap compressor? where can i get the paint? wat price will those cost?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    3.78%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Hi Luckyguy
    Oh thats cool to know that the airbrush i placed the pic of is actually cheaper than my guess... i was afraid to under declare its price.

Hmm though there should be another topic meant to discuss paints and air compressors.
    Average air compressors are at best not cheap $100+ and standard diaphram ones are about $300... which is the preferred one to get.
    Paints, i get from hobby point tiong bahru plaza... suntec also have. paints are cheap.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast