Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21
  1. #1
    Word Master Iruka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default Photography for dolfie

    I've asked a similar question in DOA, but havent got much answers. ^^U..

    I wonder if anyone is using Casio Exlim s600 or similar series? I would love to have some tips on how to photograph dolls with that camera... I could not get a good set of settings for taking dolls =_=...

    For a start, I have changed some of my camera settings with advise from friends:

    - Set to low iso (I set to 200). For Exlim, due to the antishake function, if you set the iso at auto, it will go up to 400 or even 800, which makes the pictures very grainy ^^U

    - Set to Macro mode

    - Still playing around with the white balance. Usually I use it at auto, but recently realise some indoor pics look better with white balance set to flouresent - Day (I think that's the mode ^^U.. can only recognise the icon)

    - Exlim S600 also has a function to soften the flash, which seems to be not so harsh on dolls. But I wonder if it's still advisable to use that in photographing dolls?

    Appreciate anyone who shares!!

  2. #2
    Photographer vince123123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,209
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    What's DOA?

    Some tips for you:

    1. If you have a tripod, use it - that would help a lot in making your shots free from camera shake.

    2. I'll shoot indoors if I can, against a nice or plain background (I'm assuming you're shooting indoors).

    3. Select a time of day where nice sunlight comes into your room. Do not put your doll right in the sunlight, but in a spot where there is no direct sunlight. The idea is to get sufficient light, yet not harsh light.

    4. Using ISO 200 (or the lowest ISO setting is good), however, that is the reason why we need lots of light (point (3) above).

    5. Macro mode is correct too - especially if you are placing your camera near to your doll.

    6. Do not use flash - the only time where flash can be used indoors with good results for doll photography is if you have a powerful enough flash that can be diffused with softboxes, or a flash that can be bounced on the ceiling. A compact camera usually is not able to achieve both. Hence Ill stick to bright sunlight times.

    It would be useful if you could post some sample photos you have taken and reasons why you think they are not good (I'm assuming you think they are not good that's why you're asking for tips on how to make them better).

    It would be easier to advise you on what to try next if such examples are available.

    Cheers!
    Vince123123

    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    I've asked a similar question in DOA, but havent got much answers. ^^U..

    I wonder if anyone is using Casio Exlim s600 or similar series? I would love to have some tips on how to photograph dolls with that camera... I could not get a good set of settings for taking dolls =_=...

    For a start, I have changed some of my camera settings with advise from friends:

    - Set to low iso (I set to 200). For Exlim, due to the antishake function, if you set the iso at auto, it will go up to 400 or even 800, which makes the pictures very grainy ^^U

    - Set to Macro mode

    - Still playing around with the white balance. Usually I use it at auto, but recently realise some indoor pics look better with white balance set to flouresent - Day (I think that's the mode ^^U.. can only recognise the icon)

    - Exlim S600 also has a function to soften the flash, which seems to be not so harsh on dolls. But I wonder if it's still advisable to use that in photographing dolls?

    Appreciate anyone who shares!!

  3. #3
    Posting Sempai
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    bedok reservoir
    Posts
    9,120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    ohhhhh...cooool... Iruka, u've asked a good question..i seriously need to learn..
    Thanks Vince for the helpful tips too..XD


  4. #4
    Katana Tongue pai_sei_le's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    copyrighted face
    Posts
    3,668
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    mayb a beanbag will do as some standard tripod cannot reach lower than a certain height

  5. #5
    Word Master Iruka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    vince: DOA is Den of Angel, the internation dolfie forum. Thanks for the advises, I think I would be getting a small tripod (those table tripod kind?). I have posted some pictures in the gallery section. Maybe you could give me comments there.

    monkeu: I think a lot of us new to photography for dolls will need help ^^U

    pai_sei_le: The problem with exlim is that it's quite thin, so it's hard to balance it on normal surfaces while trying to press the shutter ^^U.... maybe I have to find though external shutter button XD...

  6. #6
    Verbal Bakemono Kagari's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Okazaki, Japan
    Posts
    6,557
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    171 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    171
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    84.26%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

    Default

    hmm i must go search for my exlim dunnoe chuck to which corner x.x" but i found it easy to use in auto mode LOL

    <=== is lazy
    i'll play the devil, thou you may hate me but then believe in the real world,
    what comes out of my mouth is much kinder then what you get out there,
    life is not a bed of roses unfortunately....

  7. #7
    Katana Tongue pai_sei_le's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    copyrighted face
    Posts
    3,668
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    i used to own an ancient version of casio exlim

  8. #8
    Photographer vince123123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,209
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    Yeap the table type shd be good enough for you since yours is a small cam

    Maybe you can just select some photos and post here see see lor hehe If not I donno which ones u need help in also

    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    vince: DOA is Den of Angel, the internation dolfie forum. Thanks for the advises, I think I would be getting a small tripod (those table tripod kind?). I have posted some pictures in the gallery section. Maybe you could give me comments there.

    monkeu: I think a lot of us new to photography for dolls will need help ^^U

    pai_sei_le: The problem with exlim is that it's quite thin, so it's hard to balance it on normal surfaces while trying to press the shutter ^^U.... maybe I have to find though external shutter button XD...

  9. #9
    Posting Sempai
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    bedok reservoir
    Posts
    9,120
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    Iruka> nods nods..agreed


  10. #10
    Time and Space milodrums's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Richmond NSW AUS
    Posts
    15,601
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    vince>> ah thanks for your help still, i can't find a place in my house with a nice background =A=
    ♥KHR COSPLAY PROJECT♥ = 大成功!!
    Oh you sexy thing ♥
    http://forums.sgcafe.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=456&dateline=1213262714

  11. #11
    Word Master Iruka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    1,189
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    vince: I think I need some advise just in general ? ^^U.. anyway, I shall put up a few recently taken pics


    PuddingNeko's Kai ^^u... This picture is taken outdoors at night, under some florescent lighting. I used my camera's flash, with the soften function.


    This picture is taken under florescent lighting, outdoors (under a tentage). Hmm.. I did some photoshop tweaking of the colors.


    This is taken indoors under florescent lighting...also did some photoshop tweak of the colors. ^^U.

    Advises appreciated! Thanks!

  12. #12
    Aspiring Mangaka chewhq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Jess's little world XD
    Posts
    976
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    I started photography when i bought cool pix L11 last yr dec, so can't really give much advise..

    Suggestion: U might want to try out the different exposure [Usually they are default at 0]

    Regarding the flash.. i never get that right [even when it is in dark area...] Sigh~

  13. #13
    Photographer vince123123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    4,209
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    Hmm actualyl they dont look as bad as you described them to be what heheh They seem quite good to me Maybe some colour balance or tweaking issues - all of which can be done in Photoshop one

    Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    vince: I think I need some advise just in general ? ^^U.. anyway, I shall put up a few recently taken pics


    PuddingNeko's Kai ^^u... This picture is taken outdoors at night, under some florescent lighting. I used my camera's flash, with the soften function.


    This picture is taken under florescent lighting, outdoors (under a tentage). Hmm.. I did some photoshop tweaking of the colors.


    This is taken indoors under florescent lighting...also did some photoshop tweak of the colors. ^^U.

    Advises appreciated! Thanks!

  14. #14
    Time and Space milodrums's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Richmond NSW AUS
    Posts
    15,601
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Points
    170 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    170
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    82.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    i have found an interesting function on my camera mwhahha
    ♥KHR COSPLAY PROJECT♥ = 大成功!!
    Oh you sexy thing ♥
    http://forums.sgcafe.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=456&dateline=1213262714

  15. #15
    The peak of Mt. Pancake terminal_insanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Upon a cloud
    Posts
    12,996
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Points
    171 (0 Banked)
    vBActivity - Stats
    Points
    171
    Level
    4
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.44%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%

    Default

    hii-chan>> what function?? o.o

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •