Lv. Percent
    30%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Default Sterotype Dollowners?

i've posted this in my facebook n dA journal, and got a couple of replies. thought i'll share this with you all, and maybe see what your point of views are on this. it's an intresting topic to discuss i think.

------------

At a recent concluded meet, there was a trio of university students who joined us and as part of their project work. a few of us got interviewed by them, including myself, and this was one of the questions asked. i was caught off guard, and just shot whatever came to my mind =_=; that was total phails. anyway, i couldn't help but think furthur into it, and... seriously, i should have shot them with this answer instead...

Q: What are your views on sterotypes (doll owners)?

Define what a sterotype dollowner is to you as a public. In my point of view, there's no such thing as a "sterotype dollowner". You are 3 things, Extreme, the Majority or Low Profile.

Extreme. you are the type who thinks your doll is the world. you'd play with it everyday, dress it up everyday, and is damn obsessed up in it. to the point, you even celebrate your doll's birthday/arrival date, throw a big party for it every year, and send out invitation cards to all your doll's friends and their owners. there was this girl in the community, who said her friend wanted to marry her doll! and she's at a loss as to what to do with this friend of her's. it reminds me of an article, where there was this Japanese guy who was so obsessed with the DS game (i think)Love Plus, that he married his virtual girlfriend in that game.

You can put your male doll, in a pink poofy wig, dress him up in some weird style and post all your blurry photos all over the forum. and still say there's nothing wrong. technically, how you dress and style your doll is your own business. but spaming photos and posting everywhere just shows obsessed you are with your doll. and despite people telling you or giving you tips, you're so ignorant, and think your doll is the world.

another thing, is the public's misconception that Gothic Lolita Fashion (GL) is linked with these Ball Joined Dolls (BJDs). you see people dressed up in Gothic Lolita fashions, and carrying a BJD dressed in similiar fashion. Dress up in GL style, sure. it's your personal taste. Dress your doll the same way, sure; that's your personal taste too. But they're not related. Just because you dress up in GL style, doesn't mean you're a doll owner. For all you know, the doll could have been borrowed. You dress up in GL style, you own a BJD, you think you're an elite doll owner. but that unfortunately, doesn't make a good doll owner.

no, i'm not against doll ownes who dress up GL style. some of my best friends do that. to them, it's a fashion style, but they don't over do it. in fact, the doll they carry becomes something that compliments the outfit, and it actually turns out quite nice. i'm talking about those who over do it, like dress in long sleeved heavy punk jacket, wear 2 or 3 layers of mismatched clothes, baggy jeans in hot summer Singapore. or wear a long poofy black dress and heavy black makeup. have you been watching too much vampire movies?

In the public view, you'll probably come accross as a Japanese wannabe, and is just plain crazy. it tends to send out a negative view on doll owners, that dolls owners are generally japanese wannabes and are weird people, which is of course- not true. Do i look weird or like a japanese wannabe to you? and i'm a doll owner by the way.

Majority; are just your next door neighbour, who just happen to have an interest that's not common. that's all. if you've noticed the owners here (at the meet), how different are we compared to any other people around the area? most of here (at the meet) are in our 20s, the oldest here is already in mid 30s. you don't expect a group of working professionals to do nothing but fuss over dolls, or go hyper over them, do you?

the purpose of a meet is just to get together. we basically share a common interest, and that's what draws us togehter. if you've noticed, we just put our dolls on the table, make sure they're stable, and that's it. we grab a coffee, some light food, and start catching up with each other. once in a while, make sure the dolls are ok, take some photos maybe, and go back mingling.

just because we're doll owners, doesn't mean we don't have other interests or there's no other common topic. other than what's going on in the doll community, we also share on current issues, what's going on in life, movies, fashion, photography tips, and even what's the latest game that's out. it's just a normal day out with friends. no different that the other groups of people you see around here.

Some of us are good at sewing or handicraft, and that also contributes also. if you're good at sewing, you can make your own clothes, and even sellf them or do commissions. there's a married couple we know, who are doll owners also. the husband is good at making scaled props, and he models them with his doll and takes really good photos. his wife is good at kniting, and has done some really nice knitted shawls and sweaters, and accessories too. they both have regular jobs, and to them the doll community is an interest; a hobby.

there are also some other doll owners who are serious enough, and turn the hobby into a respectable business. putting up their own fashion designs for sale, and offering faceup or modding services. or even becoming local dealers for oversea companies.

being doll owners is not everything in life, there are better things to do than play with dolls everyday. but that doesn't mean, we don't care about them either. it's a matter of where our life piority lies.

Low profile. not every doll owner is known to us. there are some doll owners also, who probably due to other commitments, don't meet up often. sometimes they post up photos, or even try and come for meets. but just because they are low profile, doesn't make them any less a owner than the rest of us.

my 3 cents worth of views. so tell me, what exactly are sterotyped doll owners?
    Devin & Reiya, Vangil & Lydith, Kilein & Florinda, Winseris, Audrey, Claire
    Deviantart ~ http://tsukushi.deviantart.com
    Livejournal ~ tsukushi-chan.livejournal.com

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

i should be under majority, i hardly take my kids thanks to school... oh well XD

the extreme are usually those newer ones, the majority, the rather sane ones, then the low well i know of a few....
    i'll play the devil, thou you may hate me but then believe in the real world,
    what comes out of my mouth is much kinder then what you get out there,
    life is not a bed of roses unfortunately....

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Lol. Looks like here's one under the low profile list.

Must...find the power to post pretty pikus of mai pweetties...
    I am cosplaying Lily.
    -My Blog-
    [Lily Cosplay List] : Default | Vocaltos | DGM Crossover | Venomania

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Quote Originally Posted by GelidusEra View Post
    Lol. Looks like here's one under the low profile list.

Must...find the power to post pretty pikus of mai pweetties...
    hahaha dun spam worz later become extreme, low is good thou....

Fueled by Milk Tea SchizoCheese's Avatar
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.56%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Here's my own 2 cents...well, more like 200 cents.
    I think it's safe to say alot of us felt a little annoyed by the question, if that's the right word to use to describe the cocktail of emotions the question stirred up.

What's a stereotype of a doll owner, you ask? I could give you a bunch of answers.

They could be owners who own kawaii neko desu desu skirtboys and they pitch a tantrum if you call their boy a girl. Oh, and said 'boy' is also some sort of supa-kawaii-pikapika-desudesu uke.

Or maybe they dress their dolls up in GOTHEEK PUNK clothing or GOTHEEK RORITAR dresses and give them faceups with so much black, you'd think they fell face first into a tar-pit.

Or maybe they don't just dress the dolls, they dress THEMSELVES too, complete with tar-pit makeup. And perhaps they happen to be yaoi-obsessed fangirls who use 'kawaii' and 'desu' too much. Oh, and let's not forget that they're TOTALLY into all sorts of manga and anime [yaoi is one of their top obsessions, of course] and they claim to have husbands who are all famous V-Kei or J-Rock artistes.

And like, how dare you call them creepy, because they totally have ~*~souls~*~ and they're sons and daughters and have feelings therefore you have TOTALLY HURT THEIR FEELINGS.

Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah how about...NO. [PS: I was totally kidding about the above examples.]

Okay, well, yes. There are SOME people in the doll hobby who probably fall into some of those cateogories, or variations thereof. Personally, I have not met anyone as extreme as the examples I've described [and honestly? I don't want to] and most of us...if we didn't say anything, would you have realised we're doll owners?

When you asked us that question, you already probably had the thought that most of us liked the same things - that we were all manga-lovers, for example. Or we all liked the same kind of music. Or that we've all got some sort of educational background in arts-based courses.

Okay, how about me, then. Yeah, I admit - I like manga, J-pop/K-pop, I do read some yaoi, and I like pretty boys. But I also like Old Masters artwork [Botticelli, Da Vinci, Michaelangelo], new age and country music, and alot of animation that ISN'T anime. And I study arts [animation, if you'd like the specifics] but did you know I also enjoy reading about psychology? Or that I also have an interest in biology?

While it's fair to say that some of us fit some stereotypes very very loosely, it's not fair to assume that doll owners are a bunch of crazed maniacs who spend every waking hour fussing over their dolls, constantly changing their eyes, wigs, outfits...whatever. Or that we carry them with us 24/7. Or that we play with them EVERY DAY.

Most of us don't. Rather - we don't have the luxury of doing so, because real life comes first. We have jobs, we have school, we have other commitments that are higher up on the Ladder of Life. The dolls aren't going anywhere. They aren't going to walk out on you or sue you for negligence if you don't play with them everyday. They're objects - beautiful pieces of art that we can play with, but we're not obligated to them in the way one is obligated to play with a cat or dog, because cats and dogs are living, breathing creatures that need love and attention. Dolls are objects. They are beautiful, they are exquisite, but they are objects. Giant plastic toys, if you will.

I can quite happily leave my dolls sitting in their cupboard, untouched, for months. But nobody calls me a lousy owner; nobody tells me I don't deserve the dolls I own. I have more important things in life to tend to, like say, my university work. And I don't give a shit if you think that I'm a crappy doll owner because I prioritise what matters in life and what doesn't. My dolls will always be there when I need to destress and expend my creativity elsewhere.

I don't do much with my dolls, really. I was interviewed for another report before, and when I said that all I did with my dolls is change their clothes occasionally, and take photographs, the interviewer seemed dissatisfied with my answer and kept pressing me. No, really, that's ALL I do. [Well, sometimes I DO sit there and just stare at them, but that gets boring after a while.]

Which brings me to the topic of meets. When I go to meets, I want to catch up with my friends. Doll meets are for the humans. The dolls are secondary. If someone attends a doll meet with the sole purpose of showing off their ~*~unique and speshul dorrie~*~ and has zero intention of mixing around with others, then they're going to find themselves feeling very unwelcome. Nobody at the recent meet was fussing around with the dolls beyond making sure wigs were tidy and not crooked, and that the dolls standing weren't going to tip over if someone sneezed around them. Most of our time was spent with each other, sharing how our lives have been and what we've been doing.

Of course, we talk about the newest releases/new arrivals to the crew and maybe share tips about how to get certain items. But it all goes back to human-to-human interaction. Not human-to-doll and certainly less so doll-to-doll. [That's another can of worms entirely.]

So if this destroys what you initially thought of us, then great - because we don't need more people assuming we're all crazy.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Quote Originally Posted by Kagari View Post
    hahaha dun spam worz later become extreme, low is good thou....
    Ok la, I shall say something more constructive.

As stated before, I'm not always on here, so I'm somewhat spared from the ugly and shitz that might fly around every now and then. (Or so I heard.) But here's still some extra types of ugleh that I saw.

Types:
    - EGA/GothLoli who's also a BJD owner = Done and Overdone (Not gonna discuss)
    - Busy Life-orientated person who's also a BJD owner = Also Done
    - The Paranoid-chan
    - The Elitist

The Paranoid Chan: You screech with horror if you see so much as a strand of hair out of place or speck of dust on your BJD, before dropping everything to fix it. Especially if it's due to someone's contact with your beloved.
    - I'm an owner too, but people like that...scare me. Because, in my humble opinion, it dolls are...well, dolls. And it's not like the speck of dust or loose hair can't wait. Sure, I myself freak out and suddenly gain superhuman reflexes if I see dolls so much as stumbling, in order to catch them. But sometimes, if you obsess so much over keeping your doll in prime condition, I don't know how much people like that actually enjoy the hobby anymore. Point is, perhaps, some of us need to learn how to relax.

The Elitist: You think that only BJDs from Volks/Soom/Luts are worth mentioning. And perhaps the occasional DOD, such as Homme Ducan. And no, your dolls MUST wear fiber wigs. Oh, and the faceup MUST be done by a professional. Owners who think otherwise are to be ignored and their ugly dolls should be gassed immediately.
    - Ok, the BJDs from all the above studios are pretty. But they aren't the only ones that produce good dolls. Dollzone's pretty good; generally easy to handle, some have versatile faces and are mostly a fair bit cheaper than the "elite" studios. Crobidoll's another pretty one; Dollmore's got pretty decent face sculpts too (though I'm not too sure how user-friendly DMs are). So it doesn't seem necessary to insist on just the expensive ones. Especially when there are reasonably good alternatives.
    - Not every Volks/Soom/Luts/DoD owner is an Elitist; only those who despise and act negatively towards the less-rich BJD owners can be deemed one.
    - I don't know... I'm a perfectly happy owner of 2 MSDs and 1 SD from DZ. I do my own faceups (and they actually look pretty decent, lol), make the occassional outfit for them while still sometimes joining TB sprees (haha) and have a mix of all sorts of wigs. And I don't feel the urge to for the more expensive studios. Because...there ARE plenty of Luts owners. While DZ's almost as common (I think), I like being able to mess around with them without feeling too concerned about their price tags. Doesn't mean that I don't take care of them though. I do fresh faceups for all 3 (& floating head) about once every couple of months and take care to clean and change them frequently.
    -Anyway, back to the topic. Point is, even within the hobby, people have different lifestyles and how they want to interact with their BJDs. And perhaps, the elitists would want to learn how to accept other people's ideas as to what is beautiful/adorable.

EDIT:
    Elitist portion has been slightly edited for clarity.
    Last edited by GelidusEra; Sep 15th, 10 at 02:33 AM.
    I am cosplaying Lily.
    -My Blog-
    [Lily Cosplay List] : Default | Vocaltos | DGM Crossover | Venomania

Fueled by Milk Tea SchizoCheese's Avatar
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.56%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

I could be classified as a crappy owner because I:
    i. carry my dolls by their necks, le gasp!
    ii. they actually get pretty grubby and I don't really wanna do anything unless it's really bad? LOL
    iii. do handle them pretty roughly. Only my own, of course.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    60%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

well my kids, are no beter, i have a life my kids are just part of it XD

Kawaii Poster Kokushi_Tenshi_Shia's Avatar
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Sterotype ?

Males do not play with dolls, LOL.
    Now that entertain me, a great deal Xd

Edit : I'll do a proper post when my thoughts get sorted XD

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Interesting topic. But seriously, the society sterotype anybody, everybody (even that cleaner down the road has a sterotype character), so I felt it has come to a point there's no point to bother with what others are thinking about us. And I have met doll owners from all walks of life, and "normal" people suddenly become a doll owner, so the line is no longer that clear cut as when this hobby first started in SG. I dont see ourselves as any different as a person who practice calligraphy as a hobby.

As for people who express their utter disgust (my workplace senior always comment he is going to burn the dolls whenever he saw me browsing doll photos) or think you are a freak, IGNORE.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.28%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

i think stereotyping to majority are that guys don't play with dolls? or the 2nd most often i've heard is, " arn't dolls suppose to be female? so why are there males? "

but back to the question : What are your views on stereotypes (doll owners)?
    I guess it's pretty similar to GelidusEra's category of "The Elitist". I guess because I havn't mingled much with doll owners so I don't really know what stereotyping is to the doll community. however, I guess I wouldn't appreciate it if people think anything that does not fall under Volks or Luts are not worth mentioning.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    74.75%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Hey wait now, let's not get confuse with Sterotype and Prejudice.

Doll owners tends to be arty people. That's sterotyping.
    All Volks/Eluts/Soomed owners are Elitist. That's prejudice.
    Last edited by fossilangel; Sep 15th, 10 at 01:18 AM.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

fossilangel: I felt we are facing prejudice most of the time even as a dollowner ^^u

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    58.36%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

doll sterotypes tend to be from non-dollowners. who often believe that all doll owners are somewhat related to the japanese subculture (lolita, cosplay, jrock etc). or that doll owners are only female.

the japanese subculture related is probably the most accurate one out of the 2 i said. and even then it's untrue. look at the dollowners on doa and you'll know.

but there are some stereotypes out there. i think stereotypes are generally rather extreme cases of the norm. like the barbie being a girly girl who likes pink. i mean, dude, not all girls like pink. heck most of them don't even fit the image of barbie (who's disproportionate by the way). but hey, that's a stereotype of women, no? so here's my take of dollowner stereotypes:

1. the buy first research later owner
    extreme cases of people dumping money into a (expensive) hobby they know know next to nothing about and realise that they probably would have done things differently if they knew what was coming up next. often the ones panicking over things that if you had done research would have been blatantly obvious. e.g. that you should probably not use acetone on dolls. or that you CAN restring them yourself and not everything needs to be done professionally. being such an expensive hobby, this kind of stereotypes is not very common though.

2. the i must handle dolls with utmost care/i can just play with them ANYWAY i want owners
    the stereotypes of the above cases are the extreme. most people should fall in the mid range. we also think that there's owners out there who's MOST paranoid of things happening to their dolls and almost don't play with them, putting them as showpieces. then the other end would be the ones who play with them without any care such that extensive damage is done. i mean like really really bad kind. say, putting your doll on a high place where it can fall easily just cos it's convenient for you?

i can't really remember more right now, but i'll just like to add that stereotypes are generally exaggerated to the point where it becomes rather laugable. while doll owners as above exist, they aren't actually THAT bad.

and rereading my post, i realised that there's quite some flaws in it, depending on how you want to define stereotypes. oh well.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    63.28%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Quote Originally Posted by fossilangel View Post
    Hey wait now, let's not get confuse with Sterotype and Prejudice.

Doll owners tends to be arty people. That's sterotyping.
    All Volks/Eluts/Soomed owners are Elitist. That's prejudice.
    (^^);; sorry, my bad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast