93.5%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.15%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Default Router IP/Mac Filter

I'm using a 3G Mobile Broadband/Wired Internet router. I'm not too sure of the model but it's an Aztech router. Will add in later

Usually my sister and I are the only ones constantly using the Internet, sometimes my father with his iPhone. But when the net slows down quite a lot, I tend to go to the admin page(http://192.168.2.1/home.asp) and check. There, the laptops connected to the router will be shown. I can ID my family's laptops and if I'm using it, my NDS will be shown using the router.

But the thing is, when the net starts lagging, there will always be one unidentifiable bastard whose laptop will NEVER be ID-ed. I can wait 10mins, I see my NDS and my laptop's name but the 3rd party will never be shown the laptop name. I know all the names of my family's laptops.

My Aztech router comes with a filter for both IP and Mac addresses but the problem is this: My father uses the Net through the router with his iPhone. I'm so not familiar with the iPhone x.x Plus I'm not sure how Mac filtering works, I know it's a lot more effective than IP filtering since SG tend to recycle IP addresses. I can't remember if it's to block out those whose Mac addresses are not in the address list or the other way round.

I really want to secure my Internet to only my family. I'm already running a rather slow network (1MBPS to me is slow =w=) and I don't need a 3rd party to lag it up even further, esp if said 3rd party uses it for MMORPG.

The Mac address that I see: 90:84:0D:58:4B:53

You mad?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.83%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.15%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

if u're using dhcp, it will recycle IP. usually for filtering, we would use MAC rather than IP cos MAC is tied to the device.

there's 2 ways of filtering depend on how ur router works:
    blacklist: blocks out those in ur list
    whitelist: only those in ur list can use

i'm also using a 3G modem with MMORPG, frankly playing MMORPG game on 3G wont lag much on the internet. it's when u play FB, the initial loading will kill almost all others. also 1Mbps 3G is only sufficient for 1 user. more than 1 user and u'll find when the other is downloading u'll lag. also 3G is not built for speed, it fluctuates, even with 1 person using, i find it's lagging at times n i have to reconnect.