Lv. Percent
    41.47%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackThread PandaI am hot!Posting God

Quote Originally Posted by Zich View Post
    Getting over blocks has been a topic for countless centuries, bottom line is, you gotta try all and every method until you find one that works for you. Most of these methods however are basically getting your mind off whatever you're working on at the moment so it's entirely up to you to improvise and discover ways that would work for you.

Oh yeah, before I forget, the thing about submitting your written works to the publishers is all about market. Especially in Singapore where the market is small, publishers aren't all that willing to publish just about anything you can throw at them even if it may be good. So in that sense being rejected doesn't mean your hard work is wasted or whatsoever.

There are a few options to consider if you want to make a few buck out of your own written works -

1. Submit to all publishers in Singapore, submit multiple times
    - Which is what some authors do - being persistent, sometimes your manuscript doesn't reach time at the time where the content may appeal to the mass audience, so re submit (with amendments / improvements of course, especially to your query letter) or better yet, submit to all until one appreciates what you have to offer.

2. Find an agent
    - Some people dislike the idea of having a third party to intervene but they are your best chance at getting your book published. HOWEVER, that mainly applies to bigger countries where there are many publishing houses unlike Singapore. So in Singapore, there is still a chance you can get your book published by mainstream publishers.

3. Join a writer's group
    - There are a few writer's groups in Singapore and one which I know of does self-publishing of collective works. Joining a writer's group also means you have a group ready to critique your works, give you advice on publishing ... etc.

4. Publish overseas
    - Sadly, some genres are just not accepted by Singapore publishers so your next best option is to try overseas publishers or overseas literal agents.

5. Self publish
    - There are sites which allows you to self publish into e-Books thus effectively cutting away all the painful process of rejection from publishers and such, but that also means you're all on your own. One of the sites I know if Kobo Writing Life – Self-publish eBooks with Kobo, you can try researching the rest.
    thanks for the advice! Sadly i'm not from singapore. haha... i'll try my best anyway! the harder it is to be published, the more challenging it is! and the more you learn i guess....!
    thanks for the link, too! I'm checking it out right now!
    "Problems that cannot be solved do not exist in this world." - Yuki Nagato

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    29.63%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%
    Achievements Everybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by Wind_Squid View Post
    thanks for the advice! Sadly i'm not from singapore. haha... i'll try my best anyway! the harder it is to be published, the more challenging it is! and the more you learn i guess....!
    thanks for the link, too! I'm checking it out right now!
    Actually, it doesn't matter where you're from, it matters which country you're sending your writings to because for all you know, whatever genre you have to offer might not be popular.

I know the more challenging the better it is but when it comes to sending manuscripts to publishers, you have to look at things at the business point of view. Publishing is a business after all, in other words, your writing may have been up to par with other writers out there but publishers of that area aren't looking for, they won't want to publish it either.

I used to think like that until after attending talks from literal agents, publishers and published authors, my perception of the publishing world changed somewhat. Unless you're self publishing, in which you'd incur all costs by yourself, it's all about how much money the book they print can bring in as profits and not how good your writing is.

One sound advice I keep reading/seeing/hearing (for publishing) is to stalk the "Top ten" or "Top twenty" shelves in bookstores to find out what is the trend and you should most likely move in that direction to - that is, if you want to sell.

Otherwise, you can always fork out your own money and print it yourself XD That is pretty much out of the question even for working adults like me. Low Kay Hwa was an exception though but if he can work his way up, anyone can too with the right mindset (but of course, mindset is one thing, execution within your means and situation is another). I haven't read any of his books yet but if he can keep writing and publishing and have awards, I'm assuming he's good enough to sell.

~iCat~ |Announcement: Looking for co-writers to work on EOS| ~Moral Conflicts~| CR Fanatic: "We die for chicken rice!"| Many thanks to szelin for the avatar

3. Thanks to Zich for this useful post!

Kawaii Poster
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    66.63%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%
    Achievements vB Fast TrackIntermediate PosterGraduate PosterI Survived a Month!Beginner Poster!

I have been doing well with my story. I am almost done with rough draft amd then I will start editing. I hope it does well.

Check //amwc.wordpress.com for the latest news on AMWC! =3
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.17%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Wowee, zich gives such good advice! XD

Just write from your heart ba...becoming popular or earning big bucks is just the bonus.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.47%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.02%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackThread PandaI am hot!Posting God

Quote Originally Posted by Annette View Post
    I have been doing well with my story. I am almost done with rough draft amd then I will start editing. I hope it does well.
    If it started well, i bet it will end well. That's how it is, unless something -did- went wrong. well, of course not.
    "Problems that cannot be solved do not exist in this world." - Yuki Nagato

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123