Lv. Percent
    10.73%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewbloodBeginner Poster!

Default Japanese Fashion in Western countries

Do you think Japanese fashion is getting popular in western countries? Or is it just a fad for westerners that would die down eventually? I know this type of fashion is popular in Asian countries and with the help of Anime shown in Asian channels, Asians can easily recognise and identify the styles.

In my experience here in the UK, although there are some shops/stores that sell Japanese fashion clothes, I rarely see people wearing them here. Probably they would during Cosplay events or Halloween parties, but wearing them as casual attire, I don't think I've seen any.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.77%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I only see a dying fad because Japan's been getting a ton of bad rep nowadays. The earthquakes (bless them), the unreliable nuclear plants that's caused world crisis, Asian countries like HK protesting Japanese plans to restart the plants, the undiplomatic government, and the US military has been pushing their boundaries and presence in Japan, the lousy FF games and so on. I mean Japan's industrial standards are still world class, don't get me wrong, but lately the bad has outweighed the good.

Fashion-wise, I wish more Japanese styles caught on in our streets but they're still too outlandish for daily wear. You don't see lolita outfits worn by politicians, engineers, businessmen or food vendors. No one would take you seriously.

Kawaii Poster
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    34.92%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

I agree with @Lupey. There has been a lot of negative press lately. I think Japanese fashion is a dying fad. I remember in the mid-2000's, a lot of girls read Vivi and other Japanese magazines in class. I do not really see a lot of that anymore. Now a days, I see teens dressed in American Eagle and Forever 21 brands. My observation cannot speak for the whole population. There is the whole emo look. There is probably a Japanese version or style to that whole emo look. I do not know for sure. So, there can be overlaps between Japanese and American fashion trends.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.73%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewbloodBeginner Poster!

Well what I think of Japanese fashion is it is usually too loud or it becomes too silly at times because of putting on so much, not just with make up and hair colour. I myself would never wear or be seen seen like that. I mean yeah I can probably wear shirts with colourful prints or even anime related prints. But I don't think I can wear something like below that for me would look silly on me. Sorry it's just my own view.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    13.17%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewbloodGraduate Poster

These clothes are just too loud for the western taste I guess. I mean, I love the eccentricity but I would still want to go out dressed comfortably. I don't think I'd wear something like this too on a regular day.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    53.77%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by mrsRGD2012 View Post
    Well what I think of Japanese fashion is it is usually too loud or it becomes too silly at times because of putting on so much, not just with make up and hair colour. I myself would never wear or be seen seen like that. I mean yeah I can probably wear shirts with colourful prints or even anime related prints. But I don't think I can wear something like below that for me would look silly on me. Sorry it's just my own view.

And the above examples are only accepted in Japan, haha.
    A balance between stylishness and eccentricity must be maintained but this is too far left.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

I could never wear something that loud. I do appreciate the more normal Japanese clothing, though, because I'm very petite and fit better into their sizes.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

It seems that the common misconception is that Japanese girls wear this style clothes as casual wear wherever they go. Styles like Lolita, Visual Kei, Decora etc. are usually only worn at special events and group meetings, not every day. The reason why the styles might seem more casual and popular to us then they really are is because every fashion style has its own magazine even if it only has a small audience, and you can often see large groups of people meeting in certain parts of Tokyo. In reality, there is only a small percentage of people wearing this kind of flashy clothes in Japan. So, I can easily imagine groups of people wearing this kind of clothes in western countries as well, it seems to me that Japanese trends are getting more and more popular.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    55.82%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements ReporterThe Popular OneParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!

one question:

what's your defination of "Japanese Fashion"?

 Click >HERE< to know all about how not to get warnings - or get ban - from SGC Forum 
    (or, basic forum etiquettes)

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Well, when I hear "Japanese Fashion" I think of styles that originated in Japan (like lolita, visual kei, ganguro, etc.) and/or styles that are very popular in Japan. It's a pretty straightforward definition, and it might not be the most correct one, but it's what I would consider "Japanese Fashion"

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    29.18%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by ReneLeBeau View Post
    Well, when I hear "Japanese Fashion" I think of styles that originated in Japan (like lolita, visual kei, ganguro, etc.) and/or styles that are very popular in Japan. It's a pretty straightforward definition, and it might not be the most correct one, but it's what I would consider "Japanese Fashion"
    This is what I think of when I hear Japanese fashion as well. To answer the specific question, I actually think it's getting popular. Of course you're not going to see it like normal on the streets, it's not like people dress like this everyday in Japan either, it's like how we would dress up to cosplay, or clubs, raves, etc. In the club I go to, Japanese fashion is very popular. I myself tend to be more of a visual kei type, but many of my friends wear other types. You just have to know where exactly to look.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    29.18%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I think of hot pants.

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    61.97%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I think Japanese urban/street wear is catching on. The Uniqlo brand is very popular among say the 18-34 demographic. They have very hip clothes that are appropriate in western culture. I've purchased quite a few items from them. I will say many of their clothes are cut for Eastern Asian body types which leads to some awkward fitting for me sometimes. I have an athletic American football player build, so sometimes things look a little funny, lol. They have great clothes at an affordable price though.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    30.82%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I've never heard of Uniqlo before, it's an urban brand? Is there a website perhaps for their items?

About Japanese fashion, I think that it is becoming steadily more trendy in the west. Many TV shows feature an episode or two dedicated to it (lolita in particular though there are others), and celebrities such as Lady Gaga (among others) have been seen wearing it. Matter of time, in my opinion.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    10.73%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueBeast View Post
    I've never heard of Uniqlo before, it's an urban brand? Is there a website perhaps for their items?

About Japanese fashion, I think that it is becoming steadily more trendy in the west. Many TV shows feature an episode or two dedicated to it (lolita in particular though there are others), and celebrities such as Lady Gaga (among others) have been seen wearing it. Matter of time, in my opinion.
    Go to this website..Uniqlo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia and here is their company website http://www.uniqlo.com. Their biggest endorser is No.1 tennis player Novak Djokovic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast