Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

imagine you.. being a cosplayer.. and so happen that you have a best friend.. or a group of best friends who always likes to make fun of you.. everytime you meet him or them.. there will always be a time that they will just make fun of you just because they find what you say or do is lame.. (but to you.. you did not anything lame.. its just their prejudice)

First thing they said to you (after they met you not long after a few months of long lost contact) is "why didn't you take part in Sg Idol?? Since you are thick-skinned enough to go cosplaying" How will you feel..?

Next thing.. there comes another cosplayer.. then she/he was holding a magazine about gothic and lolita.. and those fools.. or that person.. flipping the pages.. laughing at all the pages they/he saw.. and even laugh at the rock band group (eg moi dix mois) which is featured on the magazine.. laughing happily at the dress.. the looks.. and even the name of band members.. And you.. yourself.. is clenching the fist all the while.. (though you still try to act by smilling.. or laughing occassionally) but when you see your fellow cosplayer friend totally didn't do anything.. and that band.. the band members are those she/he likes the most.. she/he suppose to just blow up.. which she/he suppose to..

To above situation?? And yet those are your best friend for so long.. How do you deal with these kind of idiot..?

PS: similar thread is posted on TCSS.. i also want to know how cosplayers feel about this scenerio as well.. thanks..

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.17%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

aiyo, I meet this kind of things so many times ler. if it is my best friend, I wait til we're alone and I tell him/her what she/he doing is very hurtful to me. please be more considerate to me? As my best friend, she/he surly will control her/his words around me. Or if they still continued like that, just walk away from them, maybe buy a drink, maybe admire a shop display. simply walk away from them. Surly stupid people will take a hint like that.

First thing they said to you (after they met you not long after a few months of long lost contact) is "why didn't you take part in Sg Idol?? Since you are thick-skinned enough to go cosplaying" How will you feel..?
    these people, I just give a megawatt smile and say "you join then I join lar!" if they still insult, I'll say "don't talk about me lar! tell me your gf/ boyfriend ler!"

that is also the case of "say-so-many-times-til-skin-hard-ler" , I also have a cosplayer friend who will ALWAYS insult my friend, in the eariler days I wanted to punch the living daylights out of him. But my friend got used to it already, until it almost seems 2nd nature for me to see this cosplayer insult my best friend.
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind. ~ Dr. Seuss

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

I don't mean to be a wet blanket: What is a best friend? Define that?

To me, a best friend is someone who respects me as individual. He/she must know that my interests is not necessarily in line theirs.
    The bottomline is Respect.
    Why be a best friend when there is not even a hint of respect in each other.

Quality of Best friend is measured not in years together in school but in amount of respect and individualism both parties must know.

I have a friend too; but have conflict in interest in lifestyle, He wants me to follow his lifestyle but declined. He got disappointed and that's that. You see, he doesn't respect people's decision. He expects people to follow his standards and conform to them.

That's a no go for me.
    I respect people's individualism. I wanna learn more from them.
    Laughing at people will just close my mind from learning more.

If this gets too bad.
    Break this relationship. Better to end it than just take this undeserved insult.
    I mean what have you done to earn this ignoble remark?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

i long never regard these kind of people as best friend already.. no best friend will treat the other party like dog.. and they do..

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    98.17%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

for me, i'll say suay bian lahx... xDxD I very suay bian one loh. besides what they're doing in actually unnecessary stuff. even thou, he or she is ur best friend, juz heck loh. for me my friends take me for granted, i also very suay bian. so if ur best friends insulted u right, ya can either insult them back (or thats meanie) or u can juz heck what they say and give them a heck care attitude. thats what my best friend do to me~~ xDxD i also heck with her nya~~ xDxDxD newayx, juz be urself, dun let anything get you down nya ^^ juz giving my 0.02 cents point of view nya~~ *PH hopes that she dun get bashes up by anyone*

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Then don't even talk to these Philistines!
    What is a Philistine? You might ask.
    Here's the meaning:
    A smug, ignorant person who is regarded as being indifferent or antagonistic to artistic and cultural values.

BTW Singapore seemed to be teeming with them.

Of course, Arts will not flourish with these uncultured Boors around!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

maybe they are just playing around.. why mind how ppl look at u when u are enjoying the staff u are doing.. keke ...

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Cosplay is your interest and hobby.

There are people that want you to conform to fit into their interests. Let them do what they like.

This is call peer pressure.

That's always the case, but you must learn to calm yourself down, and listen to your inner voice. Your true voice.

You want to be outstanding, be prepared for criticisms.

I recommend a movie starring Will Smith call Bagger Vance, it tells the story of a man trying to find his own pace in life.
    Pick himself up after a bad experience in WWI. It's also about internal conflicts within himself.

Watch it and you will learn how to move.

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Originally posted by SpiderKim@19 Aug 2004, 09:33 AM
    imagine you.. being a cosplayer.. and so happen that you have a best friend.. or a group of best friends who always likes to make fun of you.. everytime you meet him or them.. there will always be a time that they will just make fun of you just because they find what you say or do is lame.. (but to you.. you did not anything lame.. its just their prejudice)

Next thing.. there comes another cosplayer.. then she/he was holding a magazine about gothic and lolita.. and those fools.. or that person.. flipping the pages.. laughing at all the pages they/he saw.. and even laugh at the rock band group (eg moi dix mois) which is featured on the magazine.. laughing happily at the dress.. the looks.. and even the name of band members.. And you.. yourself.. is clenching the fist all the while.. (though you still try to act by smilling.. or laughing occassionally) but when you see your fellow cosplayer friend totally didn't do anything.. and that band.. the band members are those she/he likes the most.. she/he suppose to just blow up.. which she/he suppose to..

To above situation?? And yet those are your best friend for so long.. How do you deal with these kind of idiot..?

PS: similar thread is posted on TCSS.. i also want to know how cosplayers feel about this scenerio as well.. thanks..
    I wanna ask you this question: Have you ever wondered if this Watermelon guy from Singapore Idol has painted a rather negative picture of the Cosplay community here? No offense.

From what I know, the Watermelon guy named "SaikoMelon", right? He is a prominent person in here, is it?

You are not the first getting this Barbs and remarks.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

ignore them i say......why would they be friends with you when all they do when they see you is to make fun of you? i say those are just b**tards. forget about them and ignore them, after a long time they won't bother with you 'cause they don't find pleasure now that you can't be bothered with them

and i agree with sixshot, about the amount of respect the friend has in you would be how to judge them a best, close or a normal friend. Acquaintances don't count at all.

"Ignorance is blissed"

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Ok. Let's not let these geeks ruin our aims and our lives.

Remember: Cynics Criticise and Winner Analyze.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    7.21%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

This is what i wrote in Singapore Anime News forum

insult cosplayers

Katana Tongue
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.39%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

it happens all the time
    my good friend like to make fun of me
    but so do i
    we just take it lightly as a joke...
    This is how I feel....If they never make fun of me...den they must be out of their mind or not close to me.
    but we never use the word lame...because we all thinks that the person who call others lame are lame too.

As a good cosplayer...u must be open to public comment...

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

i guess we shouldn't take things too hard... just relax..

no point angry abt these childish stuff

since cosplay is your fav stuff, why should u be affected by other people's words

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    96.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

actually i find this kind of С... [use chinese GB to view ^^]... kind of like over-reacting?

true, what they say may be rather insensitive, but there are worse "insults" out there that are more hurtful and more worthy of wounded feelings. as a cosplayer myself, i wouldn't get angry or anything even if my friends insulted cosplay. some of my closest friends in school think that cosplay is rather ridiculous, but i don't feel belittled or insulted in any way. yes, they laugh at certain visual kei bands that i like, and find the gothic and lolita fashion weird/strange, and i laugh along with them too.

my own family throws such so-called "barbs and insults" at me too. my parents disapprove of cosplay. but i'm not going to blow up over that and think they're complete idiots who can't appreciate the so-called finer and better aspects of cosplay, because ultimately friendship and family ties matter so much more to me than a mere hobby.

sure, we're entitled to be proud of the fact that we cosplay. but there's no need to put yourself on a higher moral ground because you indulge in something that's supposedly non-mainstream and anti-establishment, in a sense, and start calling everyone who doesn't accept cosplay and gothic/lolita fashion "idiots".

everyone's entitled to their own opinions, including people unfamiliar to cosplay. some people cannot accept cosplay. so be it then. why work yourself up into a self-righteous rage?

my point? there is no point getting angry/emotional over someone, be it a best friend or a family member or anyone else, insulting cosplay. because it seems so shallow somehow, dramatising the entire issue like that. there _is_ much worse that friends can say and do, other than something so painfully trivial as insulting cosplay.
    le bien qui fait mal.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast