97.56%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Cool Cosplaying Non-Anime Characters to events

*Pardon me if there's a similar thread with a similar topic, feel free to link it to me too! :')

So... I recently came across a thread on Cosplay.com and it touched on the topic "Cosplaying Non-Anime Characters to Anime conventions".

Non-Anime Cosplay at Anime Cons? - Cosplay.com (It's a pretty old thread, came out somewhere in 2009??)

Let's say that you see a guy cosplaying as Batman at an anime convention, such as AFA. Or perhaps you see a Team Fortress 2 character at AFA. These are examples of Western-Based costumes, which are obviously, not from a particular anime series or Japanese-influenced.

I have seen some opinions of some people who thinks that it's NOT okay to do this. If it's an anime convention, you can only cosplay as Anime characters. But it makes me confused at the same time when it's OKAY to cosplay anime characters to a Non-Anime Convention (STGCC etc)

Personally, in my opinion, it's perfectly alright to cosplay whatever you like, so long as you're not rude to other cosplayers or the public. As long as you don't make too much of a fool of yourself in public and you do not tarnish the reputation of the cosplay community, it's alright to wear whatever the hell you want.

What are your opinions on this topic?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.95%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Thread PandaParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!Stop...Hammer Time!

Cosplay includes anime, manga, games, movies...

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    41.83%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

I think it is better to cosplay as per the theme of the con itself. For example, AFA is ANIME festival asia catering towards ANIME good and ANIME fans, then it would be better to cosplay a character from an anime (Bleach, D.Grayman, etc)

Another example would be STGCC. Toys, games, comics was the focus of the con. Its focus is on Western comics and games. Therefore it would be better to cosplay a character from a western (or non asian) source. (MLP, Adventure Time, Doctor Who, Sherlock etc)

It would be akin to going to a cowboy-themed party in a hawaiian top. That is my opinion. But it is up to the person to cosplay whatever they want really.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.44%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Stop...Hammer Time!Art Of CreationMaster PosterPaper WeightPosting Professional

Personally don't mind western or asian cosplay.

But if you want to be strict, then yeah. anime is anime, games are games.
    but... so long you enjoy it and don't cause a ruckus it shouldn't matter,

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.63%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements ReporterHappy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

I used to wear my Star Wars or LOTR or Harry Potter Costumes to Cosplay Events cause there wasn't any STGCC or License2Play or World Cyber Games/The Games Xpo etc back then. And SW only comes out like once every 3 years (so several chances to wear my SW Costumes within a week!) while other movies once awhile.
    But nowadays I only wear Anime/Manga Related costumes to such Anime/Cosplay Events cause my Cosplay Costumes is still much lesser than my Costuming Costumes (even after I "stopped" doing any more Western Title Costumes for awhile currently! ) so what better time to wear them out but at the next Cosplay Events? Anyway I get to wear my SW Armor like every month (or more!) so no loss in the Costuming Department.

But this is from someone who both Cosplay and do Costuming, and go to most major Cosplay-related events.

If your Batman or Spiderman is your only Costume or you're only into Western Titles Costumes, I feel it's "Okay" to wear it to AFA or EOY Event etc. You will be in the minority and maybe even attract more attention than Cosplayers wearing Anime/Manga/Games themed costumes if yours is well done or famous character. Like the rest say, just dun create any trouble or go around disturbing other cosplayers, and you'll be okay.

And then for certain Western Titles like Star Wars or Star Trek or Transformer or Matrix, they have Japanese Manga or Anime to their name.
    Titles like LOTR or Harry Potter are also popular titles to be made into Doujinshi by Japanese Fans so that is an excuse to "allow" their presences at Anime Events.

Why the Americans are saying "strictly" Anime Costumes for Anime event is because Western Titles Conventions like San Diego Comic Con (SDCC), DragonCon (DC), New York Comic Con (NYCC), GenCon etc have a long history of being an Event for Western Titles and THE PLACE to wear your Western Titles or Original Design Costumes and Armors. People are there to have fun and those're sincere about the Hobby dun judge you for the quality of your costume or being the one who created original designs as long as it's well done (and the REAL costumers welcome Parody as long its done properly like the Men Dressed up as the Disney Princesses recently ). And there are many Western Title Themed Conventions as there is now Anime/Manga Themed ones so there are "appropriate" events to wear your Western or Eastern Titles Costumes to.

Anime/Manga is may also seems "Alien" to many Older Adults or most people in North American and Europe, and seen as "Childish" thing so that's why some Anime/Manga Fans there might be protective over their fandom. And just as they're looked down by society because of their love for Anime/Manga, and maybe frown upon when they wore their Cosplay Costume to Western Themed Conventions, they will do the same when someone in Western Themed Costume wore it to an Anime Event "in revenge" for the treatment they got previously.

But of course, Eastern Titles Cosplay are seens extensively at Western Themed Conventions like SDCC now so personally if you're only got Western Themed Costume and there is no other Western Themed Convention around the corner, or you DO have an interest in Anime or Manga tho' haven't got the "calling" to cosplay from it, I dun see why you can't wear your Western Themed Costumes to an Anime Event (unless the Anime Convention Organizer SPECIFICALLY stated "NO Non-Anime/Manga/Games Costumes or Armors Allowed")

Quote Originally Posted by PinkKatSyah View Post
    Another example would be STGCC. Toys, games, comics was the focus of the con. Its focus is on Western comics and games. Therefore it would be better to cosplay a character from a western (or non asian) source. (MLP, Adventure Time, Doctor Who, Sherlock etc)
    Actually STGCC is now like 50% Western 50% Eastern titles themed these days (last year it was 70% Eastern and like 30% Western Titles Themed! ) so the organizer are welcoming Cosplayers more to the events than Western-Themed Costumers.
    Personally I rather see more Western Titles Costumes/Armor there as this is the kinda-once-a-year event for it but guess the population of Western Titles Costumers in Singapore is still low (and can be shy) while quality of some of their costumes can be so-so unless they're really serious about the hobby or able to fork up the extra cash for it.

Join US In This Holy War......You MUST Contact Me!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Everybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!

I think in singapore. the majority of your people here, ie, your aunty, uncle, yuppie, ah lian, ah beng, ah gong, ah ma will just see someone in a costume as "cosplaying" regardless if you are a anime character or a western character.

you put on a costume, makeup or something and you gather around in some con, you will be stereotypically labeled as cosplaying liao.

anyway in any local convention here in singapore, who has being actively restricting people who decide to be in costume that is not to the theme of the event apart from that japanese culture event which forbids cosplayers and can only be in cultural japanese dress to be in that event? anyway it probably applies to competitions as for an anime cosplay competition, someone in an ironman suit won't be up there.

so what about folks like me who dress up in our own original characters not associated to any western comic or anime franchise eh? =P

so I can't go to an anime con or a western comic convention in singapore cause my character isnt associated with any of them? lol
    Last edited by ref; Nov 1st, 12 at 04:44 PM.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.63%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements ReporterHappy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by ref View Post
    I think in singapore. the majority of your people here, ie, your aunty, uncle, yuppie, ah lian, ah beng, ah gong, ah ma will just see someone in a costume as "cosplaying" regardless if you are a anime character or a western character.

you put on a costume, makeup or something and you gather around in some con, you will be stereotypically labeled as cosplaying liao.

Because thanks to the Mass Media and Commercial Companies who used that term often now, everything to do with Dressing up is considered as "Cosplaying".
    And cannot deny that the Population of Cosplayers in Singapore is like 100x more than (Western Titles) Costumers so masses wins and that term being used more!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.25%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

I would never cosplay as a non-anime character in an anime convention. If I saw someone who was Batman or something at one, I'd wonder why they chose to do that, but I don't think there should be any rules against it.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    50.48%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Everybody Loves Me!The Popular OneParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!

Quote Originally Posted by TheSkyIsUp View Post
    I'd wonder why they chose to do that,
    because you only get this many events and conventions in our little tiny country of singapore compared to what america has countless different cons to suit diff genres and themes all over throughout the year.

so people/fans in singapore just make the best of what we are getting and just join in the fun.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.39%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

then what are vocaloids considered as?

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!Art Of CreationvB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

persona? hmm character animated? hmm no idea

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    24.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!Art Of CreationvB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

thinking is hard shall go bk watching little buster

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.63%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy View Post
    then what are vocaloids considered as?
    COSMODE (Japan) labelled it as "Other" and I think later Volume put them under "Music/Other"

But the point is, its Origin is Japan so it IS Cosplaying.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    99.39%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post

But the point is, its Origin is Japan so it IS Cosplaying.
    so i take it as anything not from Japan = not cosplay?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.63%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.04%
    Monthly Activity
    0.03%

Real Western or Non-Japanese Titles Costumers hate being called Cosplayers.
    Nowadays, Cosplayers tend to be practice mostly by Teen and young Adults while those into Western Titles Costumes/Armor tend to be Adults and even Seniors. And the behaviours of some Cosplayers also put these Costumers off hence they dun like to be called "Cosplayers".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast