Lv. Percent
    45.43%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Thread PandaParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!Stop...Hammer Time!

Lightbulb Discussion on new generation of cosplayers

So I've been through plenty of posts, pictures and profiles all over the net and come to a general conclusion on the new generation of cosplayers.

Cosplay isn't about putting on a costume and taking a photo, cam whoring or "fan signing"... anyone can do that at a party event... Not putting everyone of them down, I've also seen some pretty talented ones as well and who do too understand the essence of cosplay. (I don't really understand the reason for "fan signing" to because I bet that it'll be chucked away at some random corner of your HDD or room 2 months later...)

Some of the newer ones I've seen, the youngest being 13... OMG where do you kids get your money from? Do not understand the essence of cosplay.

To cut things short, cosplay is a performance. You portray the character of the costume and accessories you are wearing in real life. If you can't do that, then you're just wearing a costume.

Moreover, I do feel that this generation I'm talking about also lack the basic etiquette to attend conventions or even for photoshooting at public locations (commenting based on some actual events that I shall decline to comment on). Please behave in an appropriate manner when shooting in public locations where in view of the general populace, the rest of us don't really wish to get mislabeled for some stupid acts that some others have committed.

2. Thanks to sherylnome for this useful post!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.92%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements The Popular OneParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!Art Of Creation

Different people have different motivation for picking up the cosplay hobby.
    Some to express their love for Japanese Pop Culture while others for the sake of seeking attention.

I am turned off by their apparent lack of knowledge in the Anime Series / Character which they have selected.

These new generation cosplayers have absolutely no idea how to pose and even have the cheek to ask me (the photographer) to suggest a pose for them.

When I requested a cosplayer (new gen) to do 3 different poses, he/she will just do random poses which are not even related to the character in any way.

To sum things up for the new generation of cosplayers:
    - Please watch the Anime Series and do some research before cosplaying
    - A cool character has to look cool while a cute character has to look cute
    - Do not cosplay a character who is taller / shorter / slimmer / fatter than you do (it really spoils the image of the character especially for folks who love that character deep deep)
    - A Roronoa Zoro cosplayer who wears black bra and behave in an emo manner is a big turn off.
    - If you plan to genderbend a character, at least do some re-design of the character to fit your gender
    Last edited by JeForceX; Apr 17th, 13 at 03:30 PM.
    Director, Project JeForceX
    * Better Life with Japanese Popular Culture *
    www.jeforcex.com

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    69.23%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Stop...Hammer Time!I Don't Pay For FriendsArt Of CreationPosting GuruI'm Not Alone!

A katana from anime being held in awkward fashion by the cosplayer

1) Choking the tsuka
    2) holding the middle of the tsuka single handed
    3) power hand holding right below the control hand (like a baseball bat)
    4) not even know how to pose with a katana properly (or at least as the anime illustrated)

or basically posing with obviously very little knowledge in the props and stuff related to the anime...

best still... Having issue drawing out a katana when its being held in the hakama's belt/ secured to the back
    (kindly do some research by watching the anime)