Lv. Percent
    94.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements No Longer a NewbieNewbloodBeginner Poster!I'm Not Alone!

Default Have you seen the new TV show "Heroes of Cosplay"?

There's a new reality TV series on SyFy (in America, not sure if other channels show it around the world). The first episode can be downloaded for free on iTunes

I'm not a "serious" cosplayer... I have a lot of fun with it, but never do it for competition, so watching this was interesting for me to see the other side of it.

What do you think of this show? There is some controversy around the use of pictures of cosplayers w/o giving recognition to who is in the photo or the photographer, and even removing watermarks on original images w/o permission. You can read more about that here: Heroes of Cosplay Photo Theft? » Word of the Nerd | Word of the Nerd

Chibi Chatterer
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    72.07%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Default Yes that's y I found this communitee. How much do they win in those contests?

Quote Originally Posted by jessiroman View Post
    There's a new reality TV series on SyFy (in America, not sure if other channels show it around the world). The first episode can be downloaded for free on iTunes

I'm not a "serious" cosplayer... I have a lot of fun with it, but never do it for competition, so watching this was interesting for me to see the other side of it.

What do you think of this show? There is some controversy around the use of pictures of cosplayers w/o giving recognition to who is in the photo or the photographer, and even removing watermarks on original images w/o permission. You can read more about that here: Heroes of Cosplay Photo Theft? » Word of the Nerd | Word of the Nerd
    I saw the show and I knew that the comic cons happened but I didn't realize that they had competitions. I make some of the best most inventive costumes and have won all the major Halloween events and costume pop 1st place. I'd love to get into these contest but whats the prize money like because even though it's a love affair of mine it gets expensive building costumes and you need to win some serious cash just to be able to afford playing'

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    87.56%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements vB Fast TrackGraduate PosterI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

I haven't seen the show and I don't feel like watching it, really. Apparently the producers were rigging the contests to make sure the people from the show would win I think that it's really unacceptable if it's true! But either way, I don't think this show would tell me something I don't know about cosplay. Maybe if it'll have very good reviews I'll watch it later.
    Make your life colorful!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    83.05%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements I Survived a Month!I'm Not Alone!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

I haven't watched it my self but some of my cosplay friends says its not worth watching unless you are just watching for the cosplay.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I believe the cash prizes can be pretty big, but I've never been to one of them. I'll be going to the Dragon Con costume contest next weekend. I'll let you know then what the prizes are. =^.^=

I don't know if the show is rigged. In the one episode I saw, one some of the people who were featured in the show did get prizes, but not all of them, and they did not get any of the "big" prizes, I don't think.

Whether it's rigged or not, it seems pretty shady that they are using cosplayers' images w/o giving credit to them or their photographers (on the show's facebook page), and I also read on another forum that some of the scenery shots were from a different con all together, even though they were supposed to be at only one con.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    48.19%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackThread PandaI am hot!Posting God

I've never seem that show before, nor i heard it before.
    not in my country i guess
    "Problems that cannot be solved do not exist in this world." - Yuki Nagato

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    2.19%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements ReporterHappy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

I believe the cash prizes can be pretty big, but I've never been to one of them.
    Prizes are not necessary about getting money, big or small. "
    Not all organizer are rich, especially if the Convention/Event dun have much Sponsors or charged high Admission Fees.
    It can range from just Shopping Centres Vouches or Physical Prizes (Toys, Electronics, Trophy etc) to small amount of Cash, to large amount of Cash.

Join US In This Holy War......You MUST Contact Me!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    31.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Thread PandaParty of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!Stop...Hammer Time!

Firstly, the word "heros" in the title is a big turn off.... you're not a hero unless you've done something significantly special to somebody's life in a good way...

Secondly... Isn't that show mostly about showing off boobs and stuff?

9. Thanks to sherylnome for this useful post!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I totally agree that the word "heroes" is an inaccurate description of what's going on here. Have you seen the pictures of window washers at children's hospital cosplaying as superheroes? That's what I'd like to see more of! Using cosplay to make a difference to people!

I just watched the second episode last night, and there was a scene that *really* bothered me, where a girl who was entering her first cosplay competition was talking w/the "professional cosplayers" and they were all criticizing her for suggesting that a cosplayer should be able to be anyone they want, regardless of body shape and size. That's the kind of elitist snobbery that turns me off to "serious" cosplay. I love dressing up and getting into character and having fun, but if I had to have the "correct body size" for a character, it would SERIOUSLY limit my possibilities. I'm a bit chubbier than the picture perfect women drawn in comics, anime, videogames, etc. I'm not letting that stop me from being who I want to be!

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.59%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Beginner Poster!Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

The show boasts of elitism to say the least. I watched 5 minutes of the first one and immediately felt like it was an inaccurate description of cosplay - sadly because it's what non-cosplayers would reference as an introduction to the hobby.

I'd urge everyone to watch this instead.
    Video: Cosplay! Crafting a Secret Identity | Watch Cosplay! Crafting a Secret Identity Online | WPBA/Channel 30 Video

Timid Typist
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    76.59%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Beginner Poster!Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

The show boasts of elitism to say the least. I watched 5 minutes of the first one and immediately felt like it was an inaccurate description of cosplay - sadly because it's what non-cosplayers would reference as an introduction to the hobby.

I'd urge everyone to watch this instead.
    Video: Cosplay! Crafting a Secret Identity | Watch Cosplay! Crafting a Secret Identity Online | WPBA/Channel 30 Video

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    2.19%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements ReporterHappy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a Newbie

I totally agree that the word "heroes" is an inaccurate description of what's going on here. Have you seen the pictures of window washers at children's hospital cosplaying as superheroes? That's what I'd like to see more of! Using cosplay to make a difference to people!
    There are actually many Costume Groups that visit Hospitals or attend Charity Events in their Costumes & Armors, majority from the Western Titles Genre.

One International Group that famously had been doing this will be the 501st Legion and Rebel Legion, people who have accurate Costumes & Armors from Star Wars. Not only do the members do such regular Charity Works at Hospitals, Charity Run, Charity Fairs etc etc but also rope in their Wives, Husbands, Children and other Family members who're not members to help out.
    If you can, try watching this Video called "Heart of An Empire" which roughly covers the works of the 501st Legion Members, including its Charity Works.

I just watched the second episode last night, and there was a scene that *really* bothered me, where a girl who was entering her first cosplay competition was talking w/the "professional cosplayers" and they were all criticizing her for suggesting that a cosplayer should be able to be anyone they want, regardless of body shape and size. That's the kind of elitist snobbery that turns me off to "serious" cosplay.
    Personally, I slightly agree that Cosplayers who have body on the extreme ends of the Size broadband should watch what they wear, tho' not as serious as "Plus Size people can ONLY cosplay Plus Size Character while Skinny ones, Skinny Characters".

Skinny Cosplayers could take note from famous Cosplayers like Kaname who padded certain parts of his Outfits to give more "flesh" to his look.

As for Plus Size Cosplayers, they should avoid wearing certain types of costumes, probably those that overexpose their body, at major Events (whatever they wear for Small Event, Photoshoot etc is their business! ).

Proportioning their skirt or other parts of their costume is very important in order to draw attention away from their fat legs/arms/body, but make sure not to overdo it too!
    A good example I can think of is about some of the Gowns wore by Sakura in Tsubasa. One Plus Size cosplayer didn't make the Skirt portion of the gown much, much wider than her waist width, so she really look "bad" in the gown and emphasised that she is obese.
    Another made the skirt like double-triple the width of her Waist, so it kinda made her look "proportion" and not too fat.

Usage of Lace Trims must also be keep at a certain amount, or try using those that are not too wide.

Bind if you are Crossdressing as a Guy! I know their Chest might be Size 42D or something but at least make sure there is no twin peaks there. A Bulky Chest for a "Guy" is better than Twin Peaks. @[email protected]

Look into wearing Platform Shoes and/or Heel Riser to make the Lower half look longer.

And MOST IMPORTANTLY, dun wear the Costume without wearing PROPER Slimmers (Waist Cincher, Corset, Slimmer Pants etc) underneath.
    As we know, most Plus size people have bulge here and there which can easily be seen through the fitted outfit especially when seated. Things like Waist Cincher will help to smooth most surfaces.
    Don't be afraid too to add Plastic Bonnings or Interfacings on certain parts of the Outfit like around the Waist Area to make it smooth or help to hold up the Outfit (yes, the trade secret of Sleeveless Gowns!)

Just my 0.02

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I just saw our local 501st at Dragon Con this weekend. Their booth was right next to the interview room where I spent a lot of time as "press". They are pretty fantastic.

Also, those are some great tips for more accurate looks, and I will probably use some of your suggestions myself, in the future. I still think that cosplay is about fun and inhabiting the characters that you love, so why can't an overweight person cosplay a smaller character? Sure, they may not get a prize, but so what? I saw a lot of great cosplay this weekend (Dragon Con is kind of a mecca for it in my region), and my favorites were gender benders, or mashups, and I don't remember ever once thinking "wow, she really is too fat for that!" Accuracy only takes cosplay so far, in my opinion. Putting yourself into it is what makes it great... and if yourself is 5'3" and weighs 185lbs, you shouldn't be limited to the very few unattractive fat characters that are available.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    2.19%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Well, FYI, I am Plus Size myself but you won't caught me wearing Costumes that show off my FAT Thighs & Butts at Events. XD
    I kinda feel "OMG! WTH!" when I see those my size or bigger than me doing that so I'll never do it myself. But other than that, I let myself do almost anything I want.

Singapore is a country where there're lesser Overly Obese People compared to Western Countries like USA (and it doesn't help our Health Board is forever encouraging people to be of "Ideal Weight" tho' it's more for Health Reasons than beauty) so mentality and perceptives here over Fat people are different from US. This rub into Cosplaying too here.

One thing for sure, I always prefer doing Western Title Characters and taking the Costumers' Mentality/Creative ideas of "What If?"
    Like for Star Wars, from the Movies to the Comics to Novels had showcase the idea of there being Obese Troopers, Imperial Officers, Rebel Troopers, Rebel Officers, Jedi, Misc Characters etc etc and there being all kind of skin colors or races.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    94.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

So, is that really a Western only thing? To do cosplay with your own personal twist on it? What about gender swap? I guess in my opinion, it is for fun, and if I think it would be fun to be... I dunno... Wonder Woman (because I did that recently!) then, dammit, I'm gonna BE Wonder Woman, despite the fact that my waist is not tiny enough. I mostly design my own costume that will be more flattering to my body, but so what if I didn't? I mean, I don't recommend entering a contest where you don't look like the character at all because fat rolls are hanging out all over the place... but again, for me, it's all about fun... and someone telling me I CAN'T cosplay whoever I want, is not my idea of fun. :p

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast