Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

lol its always a challenge to take photos at cosplay events. sometimes its not that the photog is that much of an idiot at the start but due to circumstances like wall of photog and getting pissed off cos everytime the photog ask the cosplayer to pose, by the time he/she gets into position some other idiot photog will get into his/frame (seen it and experienced it too many times). Thus in order to get the photo, the photog has to as they say, when in rome do as the romans do (not that I condone it though).

maybe thats why i start to shoot more stage performances now then wander around getting shots on the floor. Sure it means camping earlier then usual and missing out but at least I get a clear shot of the stage (unless there are mics and big monitor speakers on the stage too) and if anyone wanna be funny, well I am sure there are other uses of having a nice big heavy lens...

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    23.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

PhotoGs nowadays don't ask before shooting.

I end up being the one to ask and the moment I get a shot, another guy comes in and joins the shooting. Then it becomes a wall of PhotoGs. Then I start to feel sorry for the cosplayer for having them to endure such things.

Also the nerve of some photogs to just come up to someone talking within their circle, take a snap without asking and runs away. Seriously! Where's the courtesy to ask?!

And also unless you know the cosplayer, try not to demand too much from them. You're not doing a photoshoot so just go with what the cosplayer gives you.

PhotoGs with improper etiquette ruins the mood of the event if you actually do witness it.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Hmmm, I did that... I join in the shooting when there are ppl shooting, I admit it. But usually I will wait for my turn and the cosplayer to acknowledge me before I shoot. I know that's not good enough so that's why I camped on front of the stage most of the time on day 2. I'm not a good photographer anyway (using just a small compact camera). But at least I don't walk up to ppl talking within their circle and take pictures without asking. And hell ya, I asked a lone cosplayer for a pose then some random guys just ran in front of me to take photos and in the end I didn't manage to get my shots... And that does not happened just once.
    Last edited by Schkyder; Jul 8th, 10 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

I guess its pretty normal and honest to truth, almost nothing can be done unless yeah the organizers step in. If that is the case though, then perhaps only the more reputable photogs will get the chance to take shots.

This has pros and cons as well, while it will save the cosplayer from having to endure poses for the photog wall, organizers may have trouble selecting who to give the rights to photograph to. As most of us already know, the ratio of photog to cosplayer is like 15:1

Personally for now since I'm relatively new to this scene I wanna try to build the rapport with cosplayers 1st. Earn their friendship perhaps and do private shoots. That way I can get any shots I want, also can get the chance to get more ideas from cosplayers' inputs on pose ideas as well.

I would normally try my best to start a conversation with the cosplayer(s) that I want to take a shot off, I believe this would at least assure them that you're serious about wanting to take their shots and not just some random hentai jiji. Of coz after taking the shots, show it to them, some may ask for a retake. Personally I'd be happy to oblige!

Smile Smile Stab Smile <3 Amber's Avatar
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Just saying as a coser, a smile and a thank you always goes a very long, long way <333 Even when there's a wall of photogs, I get very happy when photogs have the politeness to give a nod or something after taking the photos before walking off. Even when I'm posing I try to smile back to show that I'm grateful for them to take my photo as well as happy that they're also respecting me as a cosplayer instead of being a stationary figurine~

Like at Cosfest, there were a group of girls sniping me from a few metres away. I stopped and posed for them and they immediately started taking photos, but they were conversing amongst themselves like I wasn't alive or something. It went like this:

*snap*
    "Did you get a good photo?"
    "Nah, this one looks horrible. Deleting it. Lemme try again...*snap*"
    "Okay lah, this one's okay..."

And then they just turned around and walked away. O_o I don't know if you guys consider it rude or not, but oh well...

But there are some really really nice photogs out there too <3 Very polite and all! I always try to thank them for taking my photos.

Oh yeah, random tip for photogs, check that the black casing thingy that protects your lens is taken off. XD My friend and I had at least 5 scenarios where a photog requests for a photo, lift the camera to his eyes and then gets this O_O expression before quickly lowering it and unscrewing the cap. I think mostly cosplayers don't mind, but inversely its the photogs who get very flustered over that. XD

Edit: Oh, and I need to rant about those people on MRTs who snipe photos of you when you're travelling there/back. Seriously its only polite to ask. >< It's not like we're crimminals who litter on the floor who ought to get posted on Stomp or something. But those aren't photogs, those are just random nosey members of the public who can't do anything better than use their handphone cameras to offend people.
    Last edited by Amber; Jul 9th, 10 at 02:18 AM.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

I think unless we see radical culture changes in our "kiasu if i dun get that shot it means i am a loser thinking" or that the organizing committee makes changes like in japan, the wall of photog will always be a common sight.

But as mentioned by Amber, maybe what we can do as photogs who appreciate the cosplayer's time and effort to dress up and pose is to give a simple form of acknowledgement once you took your photo. May it be a smile or nod, I think after reading what she has posted, it would be the least we as photogs can do.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Quote Originally Posted by KWSW View Post
    I think unless we see radical culture changes in our "kiasu if i dun get that shot it means i am a loser thinking" or that the organizing committee makes changes like in japan, the wall of photog will always be a common sight.
    Personally I am beginning to find it tiresome and a big turn-off. I hate being jabbed in the face by an errant elbow or getting stomped on my foot by someone jostling to get a better angle when there's already no space. ;

But as mentioned by Amber, maybe what we can do as photogs who appreciate the cosplayer's time and effort to dress up and pose is to give a simple form of acknowledgement once you took your photo. May it be a smile or nod, I think after reading what she has posted, it would be the least we as photogs can do.
    All cosplay photogs shld wear a standard t-shirt....in front got the words "Thank you for posing!" and at the back "I'm sorry for blocking u but I wuz here 1st."

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    Personally I am beginning to find it tiresome and a big turn-off. I hate being jabbed in the face by an errant elbow or getting stomped on my foot by someone jostling to get a better angle when there's already no space. ;
    Soon all the usual photogs will get turned off and all you get left are photogs who take the photos and you never see them posted or shared anywhere...

I always wonder what do these photogs do with the photos sometimes...

I mean they cant just keep it in their memory cards or comptuer and leave it there right...

Quote Originally Posted by Garion View Post
    All cosplay photogs shld wear a standard t-shirt....in front got the words "Thank you for posing!" and at the back "I'm sorry for blocking u but I wuz here 1st."
    Lol I like the 2nd one althoug I have a habbit of letting my flash or my lens do the talking for me now... especially when I camped early at the front of the stage and some idiot tries to squeese in...

The idea of the tee-shrit is good

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    39.13%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Quote Originally Posted by Amber View Post
    Just saying as a coser, a smile and a thank you always goes a very long, long way <333 Even when there's a wall of photogs, I get very happy when photogs have the politeness to give a nod or something after taking the photos before walking off. Even when I'm posing I try to smile back to show that I'm grateful for them to take my photo as well as happy that they're also respecting me as a cosplayer instead of being a stationary figurine~

Like at Cosfest, there were a group of girls sniping me from a few metres away. I stopped and posed for them and they immediately started taking photos, but they were conversing amongst themselves like I wasn't alive or something. It went like this:

*snap*
    "Did you get a good photo?"
    "Nah, this one looks horrible. Deleting it. Lemme try again...*snap*"
    "Okay lah, this one's okay..."

And then they just turned around and walked away. O_o I don't know if you guys consider it rude or not, but oh well...

But there are some really really nice photogs out there too <3 Very polite and all! I always try to thank them for taking my photos.

Oh yeah, random tip for photogs, check that the black casing thingy that protects your lens is taken off. XD My friend and I had at least 5 scenarios where a photog requests for a photo, lift the camera to his eyes and then gets this O_O expression before quickly lowering it and unscrewing the cap. I think mostly cosplayers don't mind, but inversely its the photogs who get very flustered over that. XD
    for me is if i "cannot get a good seat", i'd just make do with my current position and try to get the best shot(which of course i thank e cosplayer after that)If e pic comes out to be uglam, i wun post it here due to courtesy.

I dun mind casual photogs(i.e. those coming with family and with normal compact cameras), just that i dun really like it when they are just standing in front of e wall of photogs and just look, cannot be bothered by e ppl behind. Normally when i am in e front row, i would squat down so as to allow e 2nd or 3rd row to form so that all can take their photographs, but some of them do not practice that.

Haha another one i dun like is an example displayed by my friend.. a wall of photogs are already taking photos (with my friend in e 1st row), he just went forward to take closeup portraits, causing e photogs behind(myself included) to pause for a while as he is in the way... i mentioned to him a few times already but he still dun listen
    Support if u like them http://www.facebook.com/ESDJ.CORP
    I have a personal page as well https://www.facebook.com/tkte0408

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Quote Originally Posted by tkte0408 View Post
    for me is if i "cannot get a good seat", i'd just make do with my current position and try to get the best shot(which of course i thank e cosplayer after that)If e pic comes out to be uglam, i wun post it here due to courtesy.

I dun mind casual photogs(i.e. those coming with family and with normal compact cameras), just that i dun really like it when they are just standing in front of e wall of photogs and just look, cannot be bothered by e ppl behind. Normally when i am in e front row, i would squat down so as to allow e 2nd or 3rd row to form so that all can take their photographs, but some of them do not practice that.

Haha another one i dun like is an example displayed by my friend.. a wall of photogs are already taking photos (with my friend in e 1st row), he just went forward to take closeup portraits, causing e photogs behind(myself included) to pause for a while as he is in the way... i mentioned to him a few times already but he still dun listen
    Maybe next time you want to put leash? So if he go forward you can always pull him back? Lol~! JKJK..

Thanks Amber for sharing your thoughts. Our perspective as photogs will always differ from the cosplayers. So now that one has stepped up to share her views and experiences, to those reading this thread please start doing something about it yeah?

I love the T-Shirt idea too!! Maybe a group of us here can do a mass order? Come up with the designs and all.. I think it'd be really cool!!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    39.13%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Quote Originally Posted by dmario84 View Post
    Maybe next time you want to put leash? So if he go forward you can always pull him back? Lol~! JKJK..

Thanks Amber for sharing your thoughts. Our perspective as photogs will always differ from the cosplayers. So now that one has stepped up to share her views and experiences, to those reading this thread please start doing something about it yeah?

I love the T-Shirt idea too!! Maybe a group of us here can do a mass order? Come up with the designs and all.. I think it'd be really cool!!
    lol already given up on talking to him already.. now wat i do is to siam this particular crowd if he is in e wall of photogs lol.. those that kena "blocked" by him, i apologise on his behalf

We sgcafe photogs noe these facts coz we see this thread, as well as it should be in our basic courtesy, but like wat i mentioned, there will always be casual walkabout families who just pass by and are fascinated by our dear cosplayers(and a bit of us photogs lol) so they definitely will be curious...They are the ones are not taught these facts.

T-shirt idea seems ok, but for me e words behind dun apply to me coz i was almost nv at the front row
    Support if u like them http://www.facebook.com/ESDJ.CORP
    I have a personal page as well https://www.facebook.com/tkte0408

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Or perhaps instead of having one standard T-Shirt, organizers can actually come up with the designs themselves? So it would mean that those interested in the particular event can purchase the T-Shirt from them and so called be the "participating photog". That way I think we would at least know who came solely for the event and who are the "extras".. Lol~!

Plus on a personal note, I can collect the T-Shirts!! Become like, memorabilia or trophy or whatever you want to call it. I think you get what I mean..

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

T-shirts is a nice idea! But I will need a 3XL size... Maybe something like a lanyard or nametag?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    9.81%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

If not T-shirts, then maybe badges??

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Badges or lanyard is good, T-shirts too. We can have all! XD

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast