Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Default Who knows how to play mahjong??

Yes, this is actually doll-related. XDD

I wanna learn how to play mahjong so that I can do a little mahjong shoot with my boys. If possible, after getting some of the Chinese-y stuff from Sochii's clothes order. :3

My little mahjong sets are missing the animal cards, though. :x So in all, I think it's missing those (four?) cards. The other tiles are there, though.

I think. They also have only one dice each (but as I have 2 sets, I suppose I'll have 2 little dice in total?) and no directional dice (the one with the four 'winds'). I think each set comes with 1 or 2 blank tiles.

Yeah, so I'm wondering if anyone here can teach me how to play mahjong? I need to get a table and chair setup though. :x Unless they play it in classic Japanese seiza position or something. -.-;; and everyone would be able to 'see' each others' tiles. ^^;;

In any case...can teach me?? ^^;;

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.98%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Hmmm... You bought one of those mahjong miniature set, I think I came across some that are really well suited to be doll sized. Geesh, I been like crapping about wanting to do a mahjong shoot since I first had my DOC 2 years ago and I still haven gotten around to it. I think I can forget about it now thanks to my laziness.

From what I know, Singapore mahjong style is prolly unique to the local scene here, it is considered a mixture of TW/HK rules/style watever. I dun think the animal tiles are used overseas? I think you can do without those animal tiles since they are displayed upfront with the flower tiles. And alot of winning combi are allowed here with varying degree of difference to rules and no. of pts for winning combi.

Yup, you need 3 dices for rolling. And the directional tile (the "Winds" tile) should be positioned at the banker's seat together with the dices, to be passed to the next player in the round. But from what I see of some owners' doll shoots pic, most ppl dun really bother with such minute details like the flower/animal tiles.

Nope, you wont get to see all of your opponents' tilehand unless they "pong" (3 of a kind" or "che" (3 in sequence of the same kind, eg 1,2,3) and these sets of 3 or even 4 ("kang" 4 of the same kind) The rest of the tiles are kept inside, away from others view. And which is why you would really cheat and give your dolls the impossibly hard to get combi of tiles to make a great killing. Like the "Shi2 San1 Yao1" or "Da4 San1 Yuan1" etc

Basically, you just need to set up the tilehand (13 to start with) and the drawing piles of 4 rows etc. It is normally 2 rows of 19, 2 rows of 18. Banker and adjacent get 19 (2 levels stacked), the other 2 players get 18.

Hahaha and if you really wanna be hardcore or something, lot of ciggies, beer cans and peanuts littering the floor will be the thing =X Well there, apparently playing mahjong is considered illegal or something, gods know, but half the world or at least, the ppl I know play mahjong, and what is chalet without mahjong for that matter D= The pt is, yesh, we should get around to play mahjong sometime, but a chalet will really be a good reason. If you wanna pick up some easy mahjong, you can try computer games mahjong or Yahoo Mahjong. Alot of my frens pick up mahjong from this famed Mahjong game from Taiwan, helmed by a variety show comedian guy or something. But that is Taiwanese style, so I think the counting/points and tiles might be different (no animals) I dun know cos I seldom or even never play computer game mahjong at all.

Okie, I played mahjong 2 days outright over a chalet this weekend so yesh, I am still into the whole mahjong thingy now.
    Last edited by Lilaciel; Dec 9th, 07 at 10:01 PM.

The peak of Mt. Pancake terminal_insanity's Avatar
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.1%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

lilaciel>> oh, so i need one more little dice? the directional wind one, i can probably make. need to find another teeny normal dice, though. :x

the see-opponents-tiles thing was more if they sit in kneeling, they can see each others' tiles, so i need to find chairs or something for them. D: or ghetto-make four. and a table. and llittle chips, or something.

lol, i so need little beer cans, or little glasses of XO or something. XDDD

omg i suck at mahjong lah. x.x

if i can't learn it well enough, i'll at least need someone l33t-enough at mahjong to like, do the shoot with me or something. x.x

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    17.98%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Ah, as you see, mahjong is played on a square table and I assure you that we wont see each other tiles. Hahaha, I dun mind doing a mahjong shoot with you, only problem is that I am more keen in playing mahjong on my own! Then again, of cos, I dun gamble on mahjong at all. I just see it as a perfect get together with friends and esp gals, we can all aspire to be some taitais and gossip over a game of mahjong or something. LOL

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.1%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Lilaciel View Post
    Ah, as you see, mahjong is played on a square table and I assure you that we wont see each other tiles. Hahaha, I dun mind doing a mahjong shoot with you, only problem is that I am more keen in playing mahjong on my own! Then again, of cos, I dun gamble on mahjong at all. I just see it as a perfect get together with friends and esp gals, we can all aspire to be some taitais and gossip over a game of mahjong or something. LOL
    yeah, i need to build a table and like, ghetto-construct 4 seats. or else if the table is too low for when they kneel, they'd be able to 'see' each others tiles. ^^;; not to mention, it'd be too low for certain angle shots. zomg, must find time to build!!! x.x

yeah, i don't really gamble either. D: i'd rather just play friendly games and stuff and talk crap/bitch while playing. like, nothing too serious. ^^;;

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

LOL t_i thanks for some publicity. anyway, i know how to play a lil too XDXD maybe we can all get together and let the boys have a majong shoot LOL *m gettin some chinese-y stuff for yuu too*

there's also like splittin of tiles. you muz split to how much you roll. and if you draw a flower tile, you can draw an extra tile from the "special set" if i m not wrong ._. to win you muz have 4 pairs[or was it 3 pair?] of three[set or runnin] and one set of two
    Elitism...pffttttt... - Sochii

Kawaii Poster Kokushi_Tenshi_Shia's Avatar
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I know how to play. XD

For the setup maybe you may want to try looking around for a small table with green velvet-looking material on the top. It gives the typical mahjong table feeling. XD

You'll also need some small stools by the side so they can place their food/beer/whatever on it.

Gambling chips are good if not some money representatives lying around are good too.

If any of your boys has female partners, let them be in the picture for better effect XD

Darn... it's starting to sound like some HK drama setup.
    Hahaha~

nic>> Enjoying the new swords ? XD

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.1%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

andrew>> yeah, i was thinking of something felt-ish, since the tabletops are usually felted, right? ^^;;

do you know where i can find ready-made props in SD size here? or at least the stools? (table i suppose i can ghetto-build one.)

money...it's not illegal to scan in cash (rescale it) and print it if it has the SPECIMEN thing across it, right?? :x because i have no chips.

by then, i ought to have one girl doll. but.......................she might be one of the ones playing. XDDD lady-boss??? XD

and yesssss, i love the swords. X3 thanks!!! anduril actually makes a pretty good short-sword for SD. :3

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Yeah, it should be felt, or something similar.
    Or you can cut out squares of paper to pass it off as mahjong paper =D

I think you can check Daiso, they have some weird stuff down at Vivocity, or you can check IMM.

As for cash, I'm not exactly sure.

Glad you enjoyed the swords. Shia can now dual wield with them.
    We should do a photoshoot one of these days. XD

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.1%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

haha, yeah, mahjong paper would suffice if i can't find felt. XD

hope daiso has. :3 the IMM one is evil, though, because they have gashapon mchines. :x and i end up spending a lot on the machines. XDD;;

photoshoot would be awesome!!! i'll need to make babyboy some clothes that fit the swords a bit more, though. ^^;; he only has jeans and hoodies/long-sleeved tops right now. XD totally un-glam/un-realistic.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Either do I XD

I do have a black lolita dress and a nice black cloak.
    Did that setup once for a Halloween shoot, I think you should have seen it =D

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    15.1%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

was it at kknm when mori brought maiya?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.62%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Nope, let me go dig up a picture of it.
    I think you can find it in SD_SG under the Halloween tag.