Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements NewbloodI'm Not Alone!

Default Resale Dollfies-- some random thoughts

I know what im gonna type in the next few words onwards arent going to be pleasing to much of the BJDs collectors' world, but i feel i just have to bring it up. From Volks to Custom House to Luts...and now more and more BJDs brands popping out of nowhere like nobody's business. All i can say that all these unnecessary brands with inferior quality controls over their dolls will only pull down the standard people have of BJDs. The newer brands are cheaper, which makes people tend to buy as if nothing matters and then start to sell them away when their budget is tight for a newer doll.

Seriously, i hate it when people sells off their doll. Isnt buying a BJD similar to like having an addition to your family? Doesnt it takes some planning and budgetting to get one? And isnt it fickle of their owner to buy them out of trend and impulse, and then have them sold off as they are having "too many dolls" or selling them off for profit? Then honestly answer me, whats the whole purpose of doll collecting?

Having a BJD isnt because it'll make u look cool or trendy or whatsoever. Having a BJD means being responsible for it. People who buy BJDs for the sake of showing off ought to have some reflection on their meaningless actions.

And please stop referring to non-Volks dolls as Super Dollfies or Dollfies. It kinds of makes me go eyeball-rolley when some girls carry their BJDs made from cheaper china versions and start referring them as "Dollfies". It just kinda degrade my own dollfies that are from Volks.

Still, it is heartwarming to see the BJD scene picking up so much in Singapore. Keep supporting BJDs!!!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    46.1%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.02%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Party of FiveI Don't Pay For FriendsI'm Not Alone!Happy Anniversary!vB Fast Track

Hi there~

I doubt this post actually belongs in this subforum as this subforum relates to the purchasing and selling of BJDs. Nonetheless, here are some of my opinions on the points which you have raised above. I've only been into BJDs for about a year, but there are quite a lot of things which I have learnt in this past year.

"now more and more BJDs brands popping out of nowhere like nobody's business."

While I definitely agree with you that there are more BJD brands popping out of nowhere, there is still a saying that goes "Where there is a demand, there is also a supply." In other words, as long as people are gonna continue to purchase BJDs, there needs to be a supply for that. And this supply comes in the form of the BJD companies, be it old or new.

One of the reasons why these new companies do pop up from time to time could range from various reasons; one of them being the easily available technology to model these dolls and produce them as compared to before. Another could possibly the amount one could earn just by going into this somewhat exclusive and unique hobby.

In other words, it is a money making business opportunity.

"All i can say that all these unnecessary brands with inferior quality controls over their dolls will only pull down the standard people have of BJDs."

Well, these are where forums like Den of Angels or other reliable BJD related forums come in handy. People do write reviews of the different BJD companies from time and these usually serve to warn most BJD collectors of brands with inferior quality control over their dolls. The reason why I have omitted the word "unnecessary" as I feel that a wide variety of BJD companies, be it old or new, allows both old and new BJD collectors to have a wider variety of sculpts and sizes to choose from.

I don't quite understand what you mean by "standard of BJDs" as it is quite undefined in your statement. Could it be that you are referring to "expectations" instead? And by the word "people", are you addressing people in the hobby or out of the hobby?

"The newer brands are cheaper, which makes people tend to buy as if nothing matters and then start to sell them away when their budget is tight for a newer doll."

Well, not all newer brands are necessarily cheaper. Remember for BJDs, the price is in relation to the size of the BJD in which you are purchasing. Also, the price is affected by which country the company is based in (i.e: Korea, China or Japan) and the currency and rate which you are purchasing the BJD.

While price is a huge factor when it comes to the hobby, I believe every collector has a sense of self control and would know what is within their budget and what is not. They would know better what they would like to have and what they can afford. As for selling "(the doll) away when their budget is tight for a newer doll" it is completely up to the owner's choice and we all have no control over it.

One of the more popular reasons why this is done would be the fact that most BJD collectors purchase BJDs in order to physically embody a character which they have in mind. The BJD companies are always coming up with new sculpts to cater to the ever growing population of BJD collectors, and one collector might find that the old sculpt that he/she had used to embody that character would be better in a new sculpt. Hence they decide to sell of their old doll for funds in order to purchase a new doll. BJDs aren’t always cheap and one of the ways to raise doll funds would be to sell off the old doll.

And “one man’s junk is another man’s treasure.” That’s when the whole second hand market comes into play as well.

“Seriously, i hate it when people sells off their doll. Isnt buying a BJD similar to like having an addition to your family? Doesnt it takes some planning and budgetting to get one? And isnt it fickle of their owner to buy them out of trend and impulse, and then have them sold off as they are having "too many dolls" or selling them off for profit? Then honestly answer me, whats the whole purpose of doll collecting?”

A BJD is indeed similar to having an addition to the family for most. Then again, not everyone shares the same views. Some people purchase BJDs for other reasons as well, one of them being the fact that they are “expensive Barbie(s) or Ken(s)” It is encouraging for most to have the same view as what you’re having, but you can’t expect everyone to have the same view yupp?

Some owners do purchase dolls out of trend and impulses, or rather, most of the time these impulses are related to them trying to see if the new doll would fit in with his/her doll family or set of characters.

Some owners choose to let some of their dolls go as they feel that they are neglecting their dolls after a while. Not everyone is able to lavish equal attention to their dolls, especially if they happen to have a big family of dolls. Hence by selling some of their dolls, they feel like they could pay better attention to the dolls that they want. And have the rest sold onto the hands of someone whom perhaps are able to give the dolls more attention as compared to themselves.

As for selling the dolls off for profit, one could earn a decent amount off selling an out of production doll or a limited edition one as long as there is a demand for it. While that may be some owner’s intentions, it does not reflect the community at large.

People go into doll collecting for many reasons, and the reasons are entirely up to the owners themselves. Who are we to actually question? As long as we have our reasons which we feel are correct, then that should be all.

“Having a BJD isnt because it'll make u look cool or trendy or whatsoever. Having a BJD means being responsible for it. People who buy BJDs for the sake of showing off ought to have some reflection on their meaningless actions.”

These are your views with regards to the hobby. And once again, people have various reasons to go into the hobby. For those collectors whom you feel that purchase “BJDs for the sake of showing off” would technically have their own set of consequences, and therefore reflect on their actions when the time is due for them yeah?

“And please stop referring to non-Volks dolls as Super Dollfies or Dollfies. It kinds of makes me go eyeball-rolley when some girls carry their BJDs made from cheaper china versions and start referring them as "Dollfies". It just kinda degrade my own dollfies that are from Volks.

Perhaps I would like to suggest that when you do meet these kinds of collectors, you might wanna share some of your knowledge on the hobby with them? In that way, they would learn something new too.

By the way, I this it is unfair for you to state that some the girls carry dolls made from cheaper china versions. I believe that there could be others in the group whom have dolls produced in other countries too. It would be nice if you could check in with them where they have purchased their dolls from before jumping to such a conclusion.

FYI, a BJD refers to
    - any doll that is articulated with ball and socket joints.
    - cast in polyurethane synthetic resin, a hard, dense plastic,
    - and the parts strung together with a thick elastic.

and a Dollfie
    - a brand of vinyl doll created by the Japanese company Volks in 1997.
    - It is a highly poseable hybrid of fashion doll and action figure.

Hence, to call your “3 proud BJD boys- 2 from Volks and one from Domuya” dolls “Dollfie” is inaccurate as well.

One more last thing, owning a Volks BJD, or in your case, two Volks BJDs, and a non-Volks BJD does not make you any different from other BJD collectors. It’s just a matter of preference which company each BJD collector prefers.

3. Thanks to PinchofSalt for this useful post!