Lv. Percent
    78.85%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Stop...Hammer Time!Art Of CreationPosting GodMaster PosterPaper Weight

Default The Analogue Stick discussion thread, also on controls in general...

Now we all know that Gotheic Requiem can't live with the Analogue stick and i can't live without it. Just a short discussion thread here on the evolution (or de-evolution?) of controls using analogue sticks. Just a short history here to get things started.

(From Wikipedia on Analogue Sticks)
    ==========================================================
    Many, if not most, 70s consoles featured an Analog Stick, see under, the VC 4000 (1978) for more info. In 1982 Atari released the first controller with a potentiometer-based analog stick [2] for their Atari 5200 home console. However, the non-centering joystick design proved to be ungainly and unreliable, alienating many consumers at the time. During that same year, General Consumer Electronics introduced the Vectrex, a vector graphics based system which used a self-centering analog stick, obviously a precursor to the modern design.

For many years, consoles ignored analog technology, instead using the digital D-pad. It wasn't until the emergence of 3D gameplay that the analog stick was brought back for widespread use.

In 1995, Sony (realizing that analog technology could be useful) created a potentiometer-based analog joystick for use in Flight-Simulation games. The Sony Dual Analog FlightStick featured twin analog sticks and was used in games such as "Descent" to provide a much greater degree of freedom than the typical digital joysticks of the day.

In 1996 Nintendo introduced a modern analog stick called a control stick on their Nintendo 64 controller. Unlike the D-pad, the control stick allowed for varying levels of pressure and 360-degree control, translating into more precise movements in games such as Super Mario 64. (Incidentally, Super Mario 64 DS was criticized by some for imprecise control due to lack of an analog stick on the Nintendo DS.)

Super Mario 64 was released in Japan on 23 June 1996. On 5 July 1996, Sega released NiGHTS Into Dreams for their Saturn console in Japan; bundled with it was the Saturn 3D control pad which featured an analog pad intended to give the player more fluid control over that game's flight-based gameplay.

During this same period of time, Sony was also creating a similar analog stick, based off the same potentiometer technology that was used in the larger Dual Analog Flightstick. Released in November 1996, the Sony Dual Analog controller featured three modes of analog (Flightstick, Full Analog and Analog-Off), and dual plastic concave thumbsticks, while Nintendo's controller only had a single stick.

In 1997 Sony released their third analog revision to the market- the Sony "Dual Shock". The controller featured similar twin analog sticks to the Dual Analog, although they were convex and rubber tipped. Sony also removed the third analog (flightstick) mode and replaced their own previous rumble feature with Immersion's haptic technology. (Note: In 1999, Ape Escape became the first major video game to require the use of two analog sticks.)

Since then, all major video game console controllers have included two analog sticks, with the exception of the Sega Dreamcast and two of Nintendo's Wii controllers. On 16 September 2005, Nintendo showed the controller for their upcoming system, Wii (then code-named Revolution), which does not have any analog sticks on its main body. Instead, it features an accelerometer for three-dimensional detection, and an attachable Nunchuk as an analog stick expansion. However, the Wii Classic Controller does feature two analog sticks to allow for proper control in games from its Virtual Console service.

==========================================================

Now here's the thing. Generally Analogue sticks serve different purposes in diferent games, from changing the control of the camera to controlling the character proper. The selling point of analogue sticks have always been precise controls, ie tilting the stick a little to walk, tilt it fully to run, etc.

This has a couple of important implication in controls for games.

In Microsoft's Halo series for example, when taking up a sniper rifle, it is often common practice to tilt the sticks only slightly when performing a snipe, in order to maintain aim and control. This is actually advantageous to using keyboard and mouse in aiming until recently when gaming mouse provides on the fly sensitivity adjustments.

From Software's Armoured Core series have been notorious for its lack of Analogue controls until AC3, where a change in control scheme to a more FPS approach won them many newer fans and much more positive criticisms for their titles.

In a more personal level Melty Blood Act Cadenza for the PS2 does not sport analogue controls as well. Obviously when you play fighting games on a home console you do it with a joystick, but I am poor, so i stick with dualshock 2. And then it bled my thumb.

Just my 2 cents into Analogue controls. PSP analogue sucks. I can't live without finguring two huge "nipples" all the time. Analogue ftw. =X

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I use them in Sengoku Musou and Sangoku Musou.... and Orochi. But that's it.
    Can't play FPS, i'll get headaches,giddness & nausua.
    馨 - tanthalas - says:
    yaoi is like smoking. it takes time to quit.
    Avatar from http://raineyz.livejournal.com/

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

The sticks are pretty ok except when ingenious titles utilise the L3,R3 button when you suppose to fiddle with the sticks.

Oh and with 2D fighting games, the sticks aren't fantastic even when giving support.

FPS wise certain titles are ok but most of them don't since it didn't give the same feel as per to give a keyboard and mouse which such games are actually more well received.

I think GR's greatest problem is with switching or moving cameras with while moving (e.g. running ard while shifting camera views in the Musou titles). Rather than the feel of it.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    78.85%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Stop...Hammer Time!Art Of CreationPosting GodMaster PosterPaper Weight

=X

So I missed the point entirely. XD

In any case I feel that I actually control better when playing FPS using the XBOX360 controller than a keyboard and mouse though I think it is strictly personal taste.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.88%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by d4thday
    I think GR's greatest problem is with switching or moving cameras with while moving (e.g. running ard while shifting camera views in the Musou titles). Rather than the feel of it.
    That will hit it spot on. D8 I'd hurl whenever the cameras start moving so I cannot tolerate analogue sticks. It also gets me some time to figure out which one to move and which direction (Dawn of Mana fully amplified this when I figured moving up will turn the camera straight and they gave me a ****ing aerial point of view. So when I turned it around, it pointed to somewhere else with my protagonist missing!)

Second to Nataku that the stupid ailments comes in. I'd get nausea and dizziness muchly.

Explains why I 'can' control my characters in Halo2 to jump off a cliff. Because I do not know how to control D:<

And if FPS = First Person Shooter games...I'd fair off better with a gun control. If not, it's back to the directional pad.

I guess it's because I keep on using the directional pad for navigation that I am more comfortable with it now? 8D?
    ♥ Ero Baa-Chan ♥

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    79.27%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I get motion sickness and headaches when I play FPS games on consoles like ps2 and ps3... T.T

Simply because it take me hell lot to try to remember which is the dam reload key,which is the camera view key,and which is the dam change of guns key.Because of the lack controls I ended up feeling off a cliff many times when playing halo2... (same as GR)

If they implement SWAT 4 on ps2... I will never touch that game. In PC its already quite troublesome with the squad tactics key. T.T