Lv. Percent
    21.44%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Default Where do you wear your subculture clothes to?

Hi all, I'm a newbie here! I've always been interested in subculture fashion (goth, lolita, harajuku etc) but I hardly own any of these stuff cos' they are ex, hard to find in sg, and people will stare if you wear them. But recently, I kept visiting a lot of online lolita stores and I've accumulated a shopping list of more than 1000 usd (well, I'll sort this out later).

Before I start stocking my wardrobe with lolita, I'm interested to hear your opinions. I'm afraid I'll end up not wearing any of my expensive purchases later and end up hawking them here. Where do you wear your special clothes to on normal days, other than meet ups and stuff? Do you wear them to work, school, or maybe even clubbing? And what do people think?

For me, I just wear a bit of J-poppish stuff and my classmates will start thinking I'm a bit over the top (it's just school! they says). When I wear my nice Victorian black blouse to office my colleagues will think I have 'something special on' (can't I just dress up to please myself). My mum thinks lolita stuff is nice but she says that nobody wears them in hot SG weather, and she complains about having to iron my victorian blouse. Even my best friend thinks that lolita is strange. I feel so alone T_T

So yea, what about you guys? Do other people's opinions bother you? Also, do you think there should be an age-limit to dressing up?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

hell no! there's never an age limit to dressing up!
    haha

I've also been investing in lolita and punk fashions recently, but haven't really had the occasions to wear them out much yet cos of tests and exam preparations. (LOL)

well, I think that you should just ignore people's stares and wear what you want.
    in singapore, everyone wears the same boring clothes so as to conform to what's considered as the norm.
    i say, screw them.

I wore a corset top and knee hgih socks out once. amost the entire carriage of MRT commuters looked stunned. some kid even pointed at me and whispered to her her mother, "why that girl dress so weird one?"

to be honest, the attention was pretty damn unnerving.
    but after awhile, i found it pretty enjoyable (:
    it's so amusing to see how clothes that seem out of the ordinary to others can have such a huge impact. haha!

i have not worn lolita out yet, but i plan to after my exams.

my advie is that if you're scared that others will stare, find some other people to dress as lolitas with you.
    (i could even join you, if you want. am also a newbie at the fashion

oh and if you're wearing punk and people stare, simply look extremely unfriendly.
    believe me, they'll stop staring (cos many have the misconception that punk=gangster. why not capitalise on that? heh)

SM: Not what you think.
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Well, If you want, you can order just one or 2 dresses first so you're aware roughly how often you wear your stuff out

Quote Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post

oh and if you're wearing punk and people stare, simply look extremely unfriendly.
    believe me, they'll stop staring (cos many have the misconception that punk=gangster. why not capitalise on that? heh)

Sorry i don't agree with this. I don't agree in staring to further emphasize the "fact" that punk=gangster. That just misleads the mass public even more. It's like saying that Lolita = cosplay.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.44%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%
    Achievements Happy Anniversary!vB Fast TrackI Survived a Month!No Longer a NewbieNewblood

Quote Originally Posted by dresdendoll View Post

I wore a corset top and knee hgih socks out once. amost the entire carriage of MRT commuters looked stunned. some kid even pointed at me and whispered to her her mother, "why that girl dress so weird one?"

to be honest, the attention was pretty damn unnerving.
    but after awhile, i found it pretty enjoyable (:
    it's so amusing to see how clothes that seem out of the ordinary to others can have such a huge impact. haha!

i have not worn lolita out yet, but i plan to after my exams.

my advie is that if you're scared that others will stare, find some other people to dress as lolitas with you.
    (i could even join you, if you want. am also a newbie at the fashion
    Corset top and kneehigh socks doesn't even sound anything extreme. In fact I think people wear this in UK. Haiz people here are so narrow-minded. Actually come to think of it, I draw stares whenever I wear my black stockings (the opaque types). People must be thinking that Im mad to wear them in such hot weather lolz.

Haha what you said about the attention is true. If I get used to it it would even be quite fun XD. Singapore's fashion is really too boring lah. That's why subculture interests me greatly.

Well I've kinda convinced one friend that lolita fashion is cool. So I might have company soon. Maybe we can go on a lolita 'procession' one day lol

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.44%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Quote Originally Posted by Belial View Post
    Well, If you want, you can order just one or 2 dresses first so you're aware roughly how often you wear your stuff out

Sorry i don't agree with this. I don't agree in staring to further emphasize the "fact" that punk=gangster. That just misleads the mass public even more. It's like saying that Lolita = cosplay.
    The problem is those shops offer free shipping for large purchases (One shop offers free shipping for orders of 300USD and above and the other offers free shipping for orders 500USD and above). If I just order one or 2, the shipping is very ex, can use the money to buy another extra item of clothing So being a kiasu Singaporean, I wanna try to take advantage of the free shipping offer. Haha. Or maybe I should do an accumulation order here.

Haha I think dresdendoll is just joking about the staring XD

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

liliya: my socks were striped. thus the stares. haha. what i meant was, if such a simple get-up could alrd attract stares, it shows how absurdly conformist our society is.

belial: i was joking about the staring. my point was: if we can't control what people think of punk fashion, then let them be.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Based on my personal experience, the casual lolita piece i own can be worn daily as long as I keep the accessories to bare minimum. Usually the more ellaborate ones I wear when going out with friends or attends outing and stuffs.

Actually I suggest you to buy one or two piece first. Others than what Belial has mentioned, the sizing might not fits nicely as different brand have different sizing.

Age limit wise... I would say there is, but it's more like a common sense.
    If one looks too matured already ( me? lol ) perhaps can choose more subtle genre like classical lolita instead of something extremely-cutie-pie sweet lolita look.
    AngelZhou~
    .::☆ Tiramisu, Black Coffee, and A Rainy Day~ ☆::.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

ahh i see, well, shipping is a killer so that can't be help. Perhaps getting shopping services to buy for you? Some shopping services prices are feasible

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

I dress up un-normally on a regular basis, and to anywhere and everywhere. I mean what's the point of buying $250 shoes if you're only going to wear them for street fest?

Granted on weekdays when I have school / work I tend to dress more normally, because of the sheer amount of books I need to lug, but on weekends it's time to pahtay!

My usual ensemble of clothes consist of fishnets, stockings, short skirts, slave collars (usually with the other end attached to my unsuspecting friends), CORSETS, stockings, and insane boots/heels. I wore a loli jsk to work once, with a cardigan thrown over, and my collegues thought it was le cute.

I think at the end of the day it boils down to how comfortable you are in what you wear. I got a bunch of strange stares on sunday when I was trapsing around orchard road in a safety pin covered camisole, short plaid skirt, my trusty lace DMs and stripey socks, topped off with a fluffy white SCARF. yes SCARF. But from what I recalled I got more nods than "OMG WHAT THE HELL IS THAT THING".

If you want to wear something out of the ordinary, go for it with your head held high. If someone comments badly about your outfit, and you KNOW you look good, cock your head, look at them, and smile. More often than not, you get a few sheepish grins, and at the end of your train ride while you leave the train a wry "nice dress" as you pass the same people as before.

It's human to be afraid of what's different. It's singaporean to bitch about things you like but secretly can't have (sour grapes syndrome). As long as you're polite about it, and behave in a likeable manner, looking different isn't bad or wrong. Just because you're dressing like a punk doesnt mean you go around spitting and picking fights. Just be courteous and polite and people will treat you the same way. (You have no idea how many times people ask me if I need to sit on the MRT with my 6" heels, while I'm decked out in full goth gear on the way to alternation.)

If you're afraid of going ALL out at once, do it in stages. Swap out flip-flops (they should be banned) for boots with your jeans. Wear a pwoofy skirt with a nice top, (or do what I do and put on the pannier once work hours are over). Cover up more unacceptable tops with shrugs, shawls, jackets whatever! You don't have to appear the next day with white/face in full OMG_NEEDS_MORE_RACE frills. Just do it casually. There are tonnes of casual lolis out there who incorporate lolita into their wardrobes, maybe start the same way?

And maybe it's because my friends are used to my crazy antics (like finding feathers on the floor and sticking them im my hair), but they more or less support my alternative dressing, some even ask if they could tag along the next time i go shop XD. Your friends are there to support you, not repress you. Just go out and have fun (:

WARNING: People wearing loli, please be careful. I had this really really really weird hentai-jiji hit on me in bugis KFC. I was queueing to buy food with my friend, and the guy in front of me turned around and was like "Hello" with this pervy look on his face. I smiled and nodded and proceeded to talk to my friend. After he finished ordering, and carrying his tray back, he blocked my way and said "I'll wait for you over there." In which I promptly was like WTF?!?!?????????????
    After my friends gave him alot of strange dirty looks while he was reportedly looking over very 'lustily". I quote "If that guy gives you that lusty look again, I am going to go over and kick him in the balls". I think he heard because he left soon after, but not after saying "HELLO" on his way out. I got really really freaked out and left bugis area soon after. JUST BE CAREFUL GIRLS.
    Last edited by dusty; Aug 28th, 07 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Warning

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

dusty > your last paragraph bout the hentai jiji so creepy ~.~
    AngelZhou~
    .::☆ Tiramisu, Black Coffee, and A Rainy Day~ ☆::.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

homg hentai jiji!! DD: Dusty better take care (O_O)

ooh i suddenly remember one funny incident. I was taking the train to school in the morning and the most suay part, i got stuck with the morning office workers rush crowd. My ipod was on full blast so i couldn't hear anything. I was wearing my naoto bunny jacket and plain paid skirt with converse (Argh, maryjanes are so not for climbing the hills.), No socks at all (cause it's hot dah.)

i was pretty tired so i look really stone. Next thing i knew, this middle age lady (about 40s-50?) turn to me and smile. I thought she wanted me to move, and so i took out one of my ear piece and said sorry (for blocking her way). Then she said in chinese, "You're so cute." And gave me a really big smile.

Stunned at first but i was pretty happy cause she's like the one in the million people who comes to you and compliments Instead of staring at you weirdly like you're some freak show.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

erm...yea.stupid pervert..

got approach once and wil nv forget this incident.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    21.44%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Hahaha yes I think wearing 'strange' clothing will draw attention and perverts. I mean, if I saw a girl in a cute lolita ensemble, I'd be drawn to her immediately, just like Belial's old lady, so imagine what the guys would be thinking. I don't mind compliments from strangers, but no perverted comments or grins!

I think dusty is right, expensive clothes must wear often, cannot just wear for special street fest or convention, otherwise its such a waste. When I eventually start stocking up, i'll try to wear them as often as I can! XD Maybe I won't wear them to work cos' there's still a dress code to follow, but i think I can wear them to school XD

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    6.54%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

Personally, I think you should start out with a tamed-down versions of lolita or punk,or whatever you like. I mean, a simple blouse and skirt to start out. Don't go putting on a bonnet and waving your parasols yet. Those can wait. That way people will not pop your eyes out at you and you'll feel like shrinking into a hole if it's your first time. >.> well, thats the way it is for me. I kept staring at my shoes.

I remember for cosfest I was wearing a nurse-lolita with a white curly wig. When I sat in the mrt, people stared at me for the ENTIRE JOURNEY which was like, 20-30mins?! I simply stared at a blank space to ignore them. XD there were a few nice compliments and a few smiles.

A lot of my friends disapprove of my clothing to school. Even my teachers >.> but they have gotten used to it. So I'm just dressing up when I feel like it. It would be nice to dress normal most of the time to show everyone that you are still Singaporean XD and then show up with the occasional punk skirt or lolita blouse.

Places to where your subculture clothes...hmmm. I heard Orchard Road is the place to start.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    11.35%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0.01%
    Monthly Activity
    0%

i usually wear my gab to school and so it doesn't matter.

The only problem is climbing a mountain in maryjanes. That was a total killer. After that, i left it at some corner of my house and swore i'll never wear it to school again. Even though some classmates compliment it was really cool looking. Flats, converse are still the best. Boots are still a bit too hot to wear X___X

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast