14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Default Frustration with local non-loli seamstresses

Hi, I'm new to lolita and I love Victorian Maiden but their sizes are too small and will never fit me.

I've been looking around for a seamstress that will make replicas for me. One seamstress quoted me a ridiculous price for a very simple skirt. Another actually wanted to make the poufy skirt into a mermaid bottom or A-line when I showed her the photo??!!! In the end I gave up and asked her to make me a normal full skirt 'coz I need normal clothes anyway. She told me it would be ready in three weeks but it's already way over the deadline!!!! Not sure if I can trust her to make me a lolita one-piece which will be so much more expensive and difficult. I will be going for the fitting soon and will reserve my judgment until I see her work on this non-lolita skirt. If it's bad, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Anyone can recommend a local seamstress who is familiar with lolita and won't turn the design into something funny? I will be supplying the fabric. I may try Miwitch but she can only do replica pieces with solid colours, not prints.

P.S. I'm new to loli and don't really own any loli or know much so please be gentle I desperately need a white pannier, a short-sleeved white blouse and a nice loli skirt. I'm more into classical lolita, not too cute/frilly stuff 'coz I'm too old to be amaloli.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Just to check, have you already paid this tailor for your non-lolita skirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Suiseiseki View Post
    Hi, I'm new to lolita and I love Victorian Maiden but their sizes are too small and will never fit me.

I've been looking around for a seamstress that will make replicas for me. One seamstress quoted me a ridiculous price for a very simple skirt. Another actually wanted to make the poufy skirt into a mermaid bottom or A-line when I showed her the photo??!!! In the end I gave up and asked her to make me a normal full skirt 'coz I need normal clothes anyway. She told me it would be ready in three weeks but it's already way over the deadline!!!! Not sure if I can trust her to make me a lolita one-piece which will be so much more expensive and difficult. I will be going for the fitting soon and will reserve my judgment until I see her work on this non-lolita skirt. If it's bad, I'm taking my business elsewhere.

Anyone can recommend a local seamstress who is familiar with lolita and won't turn the design into something funny? I will be supplying the fabric. I may try Miwitch but she can only do replica pieces with solid colours, not prints.

P.S. I'm new to loli and don't really own any loli or know much so please be gentle I desperately need a white pannier, a short-sleeved white blouse and a nice loli skirt. I'm more into classical lolita, not too cute/frilly stuff 'coz I'm too old to be amaloli.

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    40.96%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Thread PandaStop...Hammer Time!Art Of CreationPosting GodMaster Poster

Aww... I agree local tailors cant really do a good job as Lolita is still rather 'new' to them They din know much on the cultural nor Fashion too...so instead of finding a tailor straight, get someone who knows and understand will be a safer choice

Check out Haru
    We do make a lot of Lolita items

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Perhaps you can drop me a pm or email with your design. My mom is experienced in tailoring Lolita dresses and stuffz. She reads whatever I read... all the magazines and stuff. like All my stuffz are done by her, from cosplay costumes to Lolita dresses. She has also done tailoring for both band costumes and cosplay costumes.

Hope that helps.

Chibi Chatterer
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Yes, I paid and I've given her the fabric so it's too late. Ice princess, does Haru do custom sizes because I'm too fat for off the rack? Also, do you do more classical lolita designs that are not so frilly?

Congrats on your baby btw!

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    40.96%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%
    Achievements Thread PandaStop...Hammer Time!Art Of CreationPosting GodMaster Poster

Yes, I paid and I've given her the fabric so it's too late. Ice princess, does Haru do custom sizes because I'm too fat for brand? Also, do you do more classical lolita designs that are not so frilly?

Ouch, u paid~
    Hm, lets see what advice vince can give then

We do it kinda free sized but can range between S to XL Not so frilly also can be done

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Quote Originally Posted by Wawa View Post
    Perhaps you can drop me a pm or email with your design. My mom is experienced in tailoring Lolita dresses and stuffz. She reads whatever I read... all the magazines and stuff. like All my stuffz are done by her, from cosplay costumes to Lolita dresses. She has also done tailoring for both band costumes and cosplay costumes.

Hope that helps.
    Can i know roughly how much is it to tailor a dress?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Or maybe buy a gosu rori with some classical dresses and then show the sewing pattern to the seamstress so she can see how rori clothes are constructed?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Hmm, paid already makes things a little more troublesome. I'm assumign you paid 100% of it.

Do you have anything in writing as to the order? E.g. pictures given, e.g. deadlines set in a purchase order or invoice or receipt. Any paper to show she collected the $$ from you?

Yes, I paid and I've given her the fabric so it's too late. Ice princess, does Haru do custom sizes because I'm too fat for off the rack? Also, do you do more classical lolita designs that are not so frilly?

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    33.75%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I have known a tailor at Chinatown 2nd level. The auntie called Susan and the shop is 33 Fashion. Her shop got lot of batik clothing. I have send my own design to her to make, hope it turns out well cos i pay over a hundred >.<

I know she had been making costume before, so I just give it a try.

suiseiseki , you got that tailor number ? i think u go can call n check again.

Chibi Chatterer
    Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

Zermine, I also spent a lot....I called and will be going for fitting.

Do feedback whether your tailor did a good job. If she did, I'll give her a try next time....

Thanks
    vBActivity - Stats
    Level
    vBActivity - Bars
    Lv. Percent
    14.52%
    Daily Activity
    0%
    Weekly Activity
    0%
    Monthly Activity
    0.01%

I understand your problem - I've tried to tailor-make lolita clothing before and the shape just didn't come out right.

I think it's because they don't understand what kind of shapes are used in the pattern... for example, trapezoid skirts look different from circle skirts. The best way would probably be to specify what kind of pattern you want, though that would require an understanding of sewing patterns ^^;